Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

atemthegod OP t1_jaq5ndf wrote

Nadal holds the record for the most consecutive weeks in the top 10, at a mindblowing 912 weeks.

​

End of an era.

Kernumiuss t1_jarmy2p wrote

Who's #2 in that category ?

muad_dibs t1_jas0x9y wrote

Jimmy Connors - 789 [1973 to 1988]

deeperest t1_jat06u1 wrote

So Jimmy might still catch up?

TheFuckinEaglesMan t1_jat2rhc wrote

It’s not impossible… he just needs a REALLY good couple of years. I believe in him

Edit: ah, it’s consecutive weeks… well looks like old jimmy is starting over from scratch. I still think he has a shot though

GerbertVonTroff t1_jatjmmu wrote

It's utterly incredible and hard to wrap your head around.

The last time Nadal was out of the top 10, Messi hadn't scored his first goal for Barcelona yet, and YouTube was 2 months old.

The man is a freak, an absolute sporting legend.

GandalfSwagOff t1_jat2sm2 wrote

Age has no friends.

He is one of the best ever, with a legitimate argument for being the true GOAT. This guy has literally nothing left to prove.

ateehehe1 t1_jbjjrni wrote

He does have something to prove. That he is the goat. Most tennis fans don’t rate him as that

Cvspartan t1_jatasqx wrote

Hopefully he has a couple RG left in him. Roger already gone and Rafa soon too, sad to see the legends of the game leave.

TheRenster500 t1_jashmpg wrote

It's not that impressive because I could have had that record easily too if i had more skill and less injuries.... /s

Can't believe all the Ifs Ands or Buts going on in here. The record is Rafas and whatever you wanna say doesn't change that.

sc_superstar t1_jatjvlo wrote

I used to be a tennis player like him then i took an arrow to the knee

rjnd2828 t1_jauh31x wrote

I'm no fan, but when he won Wimbledon and dropped in the rankings that was a farce.

teddybadman t1_javel53 wrote

Wait, what? When did this happen and why?!

rjnd2828 t1_javmfhd wrote

Last year. He had won Wimbledon in 2021, and he won again in 2022. However they didn't award ranking points in 2022 because they didn't allow Russian players to enter. So he lost the 2021 points (they expired) and didn't get any new points even though he won in 2022.

Djokovic falls to seventh in world after ... - Yahoo Sport UK https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/djokovic-falls-seventh-world-wimbledon-091232083.html

CastYourBread t1_jbab277 wrote

He did not win Wimbledon in 2022 (just made it to SF), but your point still makes sense

rjnd2828 t1_jbabemi wrote

Oh right. But in any event even if he won he was going to drop.

BizMoo t1_jav3g5p wrote

I'm not a huge tennis fan but Nadal is one of a few names that I instantly recognise. I have seen Andy Murray play at the O2 in London (2015 I think), great experience I must say.

[deleted] t1_jaq9wjh wrote

[deleted]

−227

thelongdickofkarma t1_jar9dpw wrote

That's what makes this so impressive. Nadal did it and had injuries too.

hi-Im-gosu t1_jas8jat wrote

not taking anything away from nadal but no two injuries are the same.

it’s clear rafa had smaller (in severity) but more (in quantity) nagging injures but fed and djokovic had fewer but more significant injuries where they had to miss much more time.

tennis ranking points drop off if you don’t play for a period of time, but nadal never missed enough in a consecutive manner to where it was ever enough to drop him out of the top 10.

with that being said, federer and djokovic both have more weeks at number 1 than nadal so it’s not irrational to assume they would have not accomplished the same thing if not better.

−94

1yellowbanana t1_jasabpg wrote

But they didn’t.

hi-Im-gosu t1_jascwm4 wrote

I mean who cares if they didn’t, it’s a meaningless record while fed and djoker are still more accomplished and have peaked higher than nadal

−77

Phenotyx t1_jase4w8 wrote

The more you type the more clear it is you just don’t like nadal which discredits your opinion by exposing it as biased

SkolCity407 t1_jasfsuv wrote

Lmao guy just straight up hates Nadal. "But, they WOULD have done it if they (insert meaningless reason to why they didn't achieve it)...."

Phenotyx t1_jasgms3 wrote

his response to what I said shows that the guys thought process is just a bit…… how do I put this, unorthodox?

235_and_five t1_jatbxvi wrote

Lol. This comment thread is kinda like that one in /r/nfl where the guy basically said Patrick Mahomes is overrated if you misinterpret and/or outright change his stats for no discernable reason

Phenotyx t1_jau0kl9 wrote

idk why people don’t just say I don’t like X player for Y reason instead of trying to like deceive people into also disliking the player but for “real” reasons

(cuz we all know our merit as a human being comes from your professional sports stats)

hi-Im-gosu t1_jaseiws wrote

Nothing about my original comment is biased, I congratulated Nadal on his achievement and then I made a statement based on objective evidence and statistics.

If you interpret that as bias then so be it, you're just delusional lmfao

−53

Yayareasports t1_jasurkl wrote

This isn't bias?

> with that being said, federer and djokovic both have more weeks at number 1 than nadal so it’s not irrational to assume they would have not accomplished the same thing if not better.

You're trying so hard to not sound biased but it's super obvious in the angle you take on your response. You could've flipped it and said:

> if Nadal didn't have many more small injuries throughout his career, it's not irrational to assume he'd have the record of weeks at number 1

Of course that'd be biased too - see what I did there?

CarlThe94Pathfinder t1_jasv76p wrote

My dog, you're not being objective or non-biased at all. Reread your comment, it comes off as "i know X is great, but ACKCHULLY, blah blah blah injuries..."

That's what sports are: anyone can go for a record, but not everyone can compete for those records. Injuries are just as much a part of sports as winning and losing are

hi-Im-gosu t1_jath0rh wrote

>My dog, you're not being objective or non-biased at all.

You clearly lack basic comprehension skills, because everything in my original statement was objective.

>it’s clear rafa had smaller (in severity) but more (in quantity) nagging injures but fed and djokovic had fewer but more significant injuries where they had to miss much more time.

Name one thing here that is objectively wrong?

>tennis ranking points drop off if you don’t play for a period of time, but nadal never missed enough in a consecutive manner to where it was ever enough to drop him out of the top 10.

>with that being said, federer and djokovic both have more weeks at number 1 than nadal so it’s not irrational to assume they would have not accomplished the same thing if not better.

Obviously injuries are a part of sports, I never said they weren't I simply compared the types of injuries nadal had to djokovic and federer's and made a very obvious conclusion that any logical person would come to.

−4

MrFunnie t1_jastc7u wrote

I don’t even follow tennis super closely, but you cannot say Fed is more accomplished. Rafa has 22 majors, Djokovic has 22, but Fed has 20.

CarlThe94Pathfinder t1_jasuue3 wrote

How is it a meaningless record? If anything, it makes it that much more meaningful

hi-Im-gosu t1_jathk9t wrote

Beacuse nobody cares about top 10, they care about top 1.

Who is the best player? Who was the highest ranked for the longest? This is what people debate.

Do we praise or care about a Nascar driver for finishing top 10 in bunch of races, do we praise or care about golfers for finishing top 10 in tournaments, do we praise an NBA team for finishing top 10 at the end of the season?

You're actually delusional if you think this accomplishment means anything significant.

−4

AmbassadorParking392 t1_jatmxtc wrote

>“Who was the highest ranked for the longest?”

This is literally what we’re debating. Nadal is the highest ranked for the longest. He is top 1 for longest time spent ranked in the top 10.

Many factors come into play in determining the greatest player in any sport, and longevity is certainly one of those factors.

hi-Im-gosu t1_jauwnuk wrote

Top 10 isn’t shit in tennis, people only care about number 1 just like every other sport.

your pathetic attempt at word play doesn’t change that fact. Weeks at number 1 is the most important metric when determining dominance because it means you were consistently the best player in the world for the longest time.

nobody cares if you were top 10, why couldn’t you get number 1?

if you care about longevity, total titles is a better stat to represent that but even then it pales in comparison to weeks at number 1 because not all tennis tournaments are equal, some are far easier than others.

it seems you don’t understand the true objective goal of professional tennis which is why you can’t comprehend my argument

the sole goal of professional tennis is to earn as many ATP points as possible, the number 1 player does this making them the best.

capnamazing1999 t1_jarrxma wrote

Yeah! Let’s diminish Rafa’s achievement by not pretending every tennis player ever wouldn’t have done the same if they had won most of their matches, were never injured, had an almost pathological competitive drive, and were immortal.

harshal94 t1_jas3ml0 wrote

Ahh yes the typical reddit comment, always make it about something else, never about the post itself. But what about this, but what about that, jog on.

brett1081 t1_jas616z wrote

Did you post this exact comment on Twitter as well? Come on.

JonstheSquire t1_jat4ydr wrote

It's an amazing achievement. However, let's not pretend like I wouldn't have done the same if it wasn't for my lack of tennis playing ability.

hardtofindagoodname t1_jat5o4l wrote

Tennis isn't just about skill. It's a whole culmination of effort ranging from the individual's effort, skill, psychology which is backed by a team who is advising, coaching and giving therapy. There's a good reason why tennis players spend a lot of time giving thanks to their team during the award ceromony.

Rafal gets full credit for pulling all of this together and most of all keeping his body in peak performance throughout the years.

BugEyedLemur t1_jaszqb9 wrote

That perspective completely diminishes how almost obsessive Rafi is about every facet of his tennis life. The dude is a nut who is mentally on another level. There is a reason he has achieved this and it is not because he got lucky and avoided injury.

sabeshs t1_jauamlz wrote

If I had skills and remained healthy, I would have been better than all 3 put together! If.. If.. If.. Just stop 😏