Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

gamers542 t1_jbh2kh9 wrote

I'm not a Cuse fan. He wasn't forced out, was he?

As a person who likes round numbers, I wanted him to coach for another 3 years.

ShawshankException t1_jbh2zfb wrote

I haven't seen anything that indicates he was forced out, he's just 78 and hasn't had a great recent few years. It's just time for him to call it.

zdiddy987 t1_jbha79t wrote

The college game has also changed a ton with NIL and he's expressed serious displeasure with it

gallez t1_jbjyi4c wrote

Completely out of the loop, what is NIL?

B1G_Fan t1_jbk2u9r wrote

Essentially allows players to sign endorsement deals like the Olympics allow their athletes to sign

The problem, of course, is boosters paying players “endorsement money” to sign with this team or transfer to that team

syrstorm t1_jbhgcg4 wrote

It seems pretty clear that he was strongly encouraged that this was his last season.

itsforachurch t1_jbhkwre wrote

I can't imagine that he was not given the opportunity to announce his retirement.

syrstorm t1_jbhlmkz wrote

He actually gave his "retirement speech" a couple weekends ago, when several former players had their numbers retired. He just didn't tell anyone that's what the speech was. Honestly, that's typical Coach B.

ShawshankException t1_jbk5nt8 wrote

Specifically the entire 2003 team minus Craig Forth was there for Hakeem Warrick and Gerry McNamara's jersey retirement because it was the 20th anniversary of our title. Jimmy B gave a great speech at the end which definitely was a pseudo retirement speech looking back on it.

jimmy-b-bot t1_jbk5oxc wrote

If you score on me, I’m gonna tap you on your butt.

Radthereptile t1_jbh9ksf wrote

Would be shocked if he was. Got them multiple NCAA tourney runs and a championship in Syracuse NY. Couldn’t expect more than that.

Dingerdongdick t1_jbksce0 wrote

Yes, he was. When asked if he was returning he said it's up to the University.