Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vslsls t1_jbntosp wrote

Russians in NHL don't represent their country unlike athletes in Olympics.

Ray_Pingeau t1_jboh5ac wrote

They have and would continue to do so if Bettman let the players go back to the Olympics

−2

besieged_mind t1_jbnz4ff wrote

Most of the athletes anywhere from represent themselves. Yes, they are proud of representing their country and people but they also do for themselves.

People forget that in most of the Olympic sports the Games are an ultimate sports competition. You can hardly find a sport or a competition where Olympics aren't the most important for an athlete as such - football as a sport in whole, NBA > Olympics, and that's basically that. In every other case for an individual sport, athletes practice very hard and very intense for that once in 4 years competition and can realistically hope for no more than 2 in their lifetime. That's their dream, something they give their life for and practice very, very hard.

I can understand for this initiative to come from some politicians but from fellow athletes... that's just cruelty as such. Bad people.

−19

JeffFromSchool t1_jbo5jxp wrote

NHL players give way more of a shit about getting their name on the Stanley Cup than winning an Olympic gold...

They didn't even put up a big fight when the NHL decided they aren't stopping the season for the Olympics anymore.

Waterwoogem t1_jbovpnb wrote

In general yes. But those that show skill in early stages do try for the Trifecta: World Championship Gold(whether through Jr or not), Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold.

Certainly a lot harder with the rule change

Contundo t1_jbo7jcd wrote

That’s largely because hockey isn’t a large sport across the world. When it comes to many other sports, olympics is the highest level.

−10

JeffFromSchool t1_jbo9bfz wrote

It's certainly bigger than basketball... Which is another that the players care less for the Olympics than their own league.

All of North America and most of Europe play hockey. That's already like 80% of the top medalling countries at the Olympics

If it's a major US sport (half of which are featured in the Olympics), the Olympics aren't the highest stage.

PoliteIndecency t1_jboho82 wrote

I'm a rabid hockey fan and I can tell you right now basketball is bigger than hockey on the world stage.

−3

stephenlipic t1_jboly4e wrote

I think they meant global player base not necessarily financial backing which is what I’m thinking you’re talking about.

Contundo t1_jbob76r wrote

You’re just picking sports that is big in North America. And somewhat in Europe. Athletics sports is where it’s at in Olympics. Basketball and hockey is fluff.

−8

JeffFromSchool t1_jbodnlq wrote

The ratings for each competition don't agree with you lmao

dragunityag t1_jboe9ji wrote

And we all know the Olympics is about curling anyways.

I don't know how watching people sweep ice can be so damn captivating but I know I'll watch it anytime I see it on.

Waterwoogem t1_jbow0vu wrote

Those 2am Live Curling Matchups just hit different.

Contundo t1_jboe7l0 wrote

Ratings don’t reflect how high level the sport in Olympics is.

−5

JeffFromSchool t1_jboewbc wrote

You were talking about which sport are fluff and which are "where it's at". Ratings are a pretty good indication of which sports more people care about

The Olympics doesn't care about the "athletic" sports as you think they do. Don't they regularly think about getting rid of wrestling, which is probably the most quintessential Olympic sport?

Contundo t1_jbofm83 wrote

You’re the one who started with popularity. No one in basketball and hockey cares much about basketball and hockey olympics. They could stop being Olympic sports and no one would give a shit. Unlike 400m which actually matters to the athletes.

vslsls t1_jbo3r85 wrote

There are more important things in life besides sports. They'll live unlike some Ukrainians.

besieged_mind t1_jbrjnrv wrote

I agree. Lives of some Ukrainians are not going to be saved this way. One life is not going to be saved.