Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mthwdcn t1_jcigzd5 wrote

Keep guessing. Been to plenty enough to know it’s good for the sport, but not so many since I moved out of Parkside.

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jcihovb wrote

Wow, didn’t know you were the arbiter of what’s good and bad for baseball. What an honor to meet such an important person.

−1

Admiral_Sarcasm t1_jck404e wrote

Bro you can't unironically say this when you did the exact same thing like 3 comments ago. Have an ounce of self-reflection, please.

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jck7ag6 wrote

I assume you’re from Portland. Possibly a fan of the Beavers? So I guess you’d be okay with a team that was over 100 years old deciding to forego baseball, disband the team and playing exhibition games where the players danced and dry humped each other on the field?

−1

Admiral_Sarcasm t1_jckehzk wrote

Let's go with the Hillsboro Hops,as they're the closest corollary with the savannah sand gnats/bananas. I'd the hops LEFT THE STATE after receiving ~1900 fans/game in their final season, and the new team averaged ~3600 in their FIRST season (up to ~4200 fans/game now), yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with it. Bringing community together, national attention (and the associated financial benefits), and a revitalized sense of fun in the wake of an extremely long stretch of years is 100% a net positive, to me.

The teams are having fun. I'm sorry you're not.

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jckj9p2 wrote

Sand Gnats and the Bananas are totally different things. One is MiLB and one is not.

−1

Admiral_Sarcasm t1_jcm2ao7 wrote

Then what are you mad about?

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jcmcf71 wrote

I’m not angry. Just commuting the ultimate sin of voicing an opinion.

Admiral_Sarcasm t1_jcmgnrj wrote

Homie you came out the gate swinging, calling what they're doing "a stupid version of baseball that involves TikTok dances and idiotic stunts" and saying that the owner sucks.

Your problem is that you assume people disagree with you for "voicing an opinion," rather than entertaining the possibility that people disagree with your actual opinion itself.

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jcmikar wrote

On ball four the runner can advance as many bases as they can before everyone in the infield touches the ball and throws them out. This results in a hot potato game on the infield…I stand behind the “stupid version” statement.

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jciiudr wrote

Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron all played at Grayson Stadium. Wonder what they would think of Banana Ball?

−4

hubagruben t1_jcis3u0 wrote

Have you heard of barnstorming? Many of the players you listed participated in it, and many elements are similar to Banana Ball. It’s not traditional baseball and it’s not supposed to be. It’s an entertaining variation.

“Batters hit one-handed or on their knees. Satchel took his warm-up throws sitting down, with his catcher stationed behind the plate in a rocking chair. Best of all was a riff called shadow ball. The hitter swung so hard, fielders reacted so convincingly, and the runner tore down the line so fast that fans could hardly tell that it was pantomime. It was baseball so brilliant it could be played without the ball.”

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jcitolm wrote

Didn’t mention Satchel Paige. I didn’t see in that article any of the players I mentioned. But you might be referring to that time Mickey Mantle wore oversized pants and caught bananas thrown at him from the grandstands.

−5

hubagruben t1_jck5aaa wrote

Jackie Robinson Barnstorming

Babe Ruth Barnstorming

Hank Aaron (and Willie Mays) Barnstorming

Ironically, the only one I couldn't find a sufficient example of is Mantle, who you've given an example of silly antics for me. I guess my overall point is to keep in mind that different variations of baseball have always been played, and the Savannah Bananas are simply adding to the history. You may not like the TikTok dances, and that's completely fair (I hate TikTok culture), but it's more than that. I stream a lot of their games and am very entertained watching that version of baseball. I also watch "traditional" baseball every day and enjoy that, but that doesn't mean I can't get down to what the Bananas are doing.

RiseFromUrGrave t1_jck6tf3 wrote

Look, I get the antics. It brings out people who would normally not enjoy a normal baseball game. The team used to strike that balance. They were in a league. While there are TONS of people who come out for the dancing and bat tricks. There were a loyal contingent of Savannahians who actually appreciated the fact that you could watch a normal baseball game in our hometown. I can’t tell you how many hours long rain delays my family and I sat through so we could watch the Bananas finish a game at 1:00AM. But with the withdrawal from the CPL and move to only play Banana Ball, the fans who were loyal to that team were kind of left out in the cold.

hubagruben t1_jck8ujg wrote

I feel for ya. If something local that I enjoyed suddenly changed to a different version of it that I didn’t enjoy, I’d be pissed too. I guess what would’ve been better is if Banana Ball would’ve been strictly tour-based, not a replacement of a traditional baseball team. Hopefully another traditional team comes Savannah’s way soon.