Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

minneapple79 t1_jcw7zuw wrote

The coach of the women’s hockey team is Mark Johnson, who scored two goals in the Miracle on Ice game against Russia in the 1980 Olympics.

awshitnoway t1_jcwmdvf wrote

I've never played hockey, can hardly skate (I've done so twice at 31) and don't watch any games.

That Disney movie is one of my favorites

NebulousDonkeyFart t1_jcwmoyv wrote

Lace em up! It’s the best game you can play!

awshitnoway t1_jcwp42d wrote

I'm definitely a basketball guy. That said, I watched the Preds play (im from nashville) and did root for them because, yay, hometown!

My knee is shot though, so I'll leave the rough housing to the pros :)

I live in Michigan now, though, so I believe it's time for me to learn to love it!

alltheeverything t1_jcyua6n wrote

If you think it’s fun, you should try tho! Since hockey is on a single for plane, it may actually not be that bad for your knees (or back, ankles,etc). And it’s surprising how fast you can learn to move/skate enough to play a game. (Beer league etc, but still fun)

vikinghockey10 t1_jcyge1z wrote

He also won a NCAA title for Wisconsin as a player, a silver medal in the Olympics as a coach, and was an NHL all star.

AtomicFreeze t1_jcyyagm wrote

He has also been the coach for all 7 of Wisconsin's women's national championships.

fricks_and_stones t1_jcyswte wrote

Sigh. This is a great tidbit; but it’s kind of sad how the top comment about a women’s winning team is regarding something their male coach did 40 years ago.

−4

Naku_NA t1_jcw3sp2 wrote

A record 7 National Championships

grehgunner t1_jcwoj2a wrote

Minnesota has 7 with an asterisk lol

AnalBees2 t1_jcwqdk3 wrote

Why an asterisk? Just curious!

grehgunner t1_jcwu227 wrote

Minnesota won the championship of the American women’s college hockey alliance (AWCHA) in 2000 which some people count (after that the NCAA formally began their D1 tournament which Minnesota Duluth won the inaugural 2001 tourney)

Randomacity t1_jcwvbtc wrote

So Whisky and Minne have won a combined 13 of 22 total titles?? Nuts.

grehgunner t1_jcwxavy wrote

Minn Duluth has won 5 as well lol (including the first 3)… add in 3 for Clarkson, 1 for Ohio state and one canceled for Covid and you have only 5 teams that have won it lol

grehgunner t1_jcwxe3y wrote

There’s not a lot of top programs in the world of women’s collegiate hockey lol

joefartbutt t1_jcy3738 wrote

Yeah sometimes it seems kind of goofy with how few D1 womens teams there are. Otoh, I'm kind of familiar with girls youth/high school hockey in Michigan and there really aren't that many girls teams compared to the boys. Some girls are traveling pretty far to get to practices and games.

So is the issue with the talent pool or do schools like Michigan just not give a shit?

Oh and fun fact, girls high school hockey players have the highest chances of playing in college at a whopping 26%. https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2015/3/2/estimated-probability-of-competing-in-college-athletics.aspx

KnudsenT t1_jcyocpo wrote

Well the Gusties beat the Mammoths in 3OT for the D3 title yesterday so there are more teams out there and not just D1

bobalmighty125 t1_jcy3hl7 wrote

I’d imagine Michigan doesn’t sponsor women’s hockey since they’d probably have to give up one of their other womens sports due to Title IX restrictions

HGpennypacker t1_jcxtlgy wrote

The WCHA conference tournament may as well be the national championship tournament.

FFPatrick t1_jcytdkm wrote

Whooo, best women’s program in the east. LETS GO TECH

staticv0id t1_jd00jbh wrote

Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger 🦡

RiverRat1648 t1_jcwkv2x wrote

Finished off the #3 #2 and #1 seeds in that order to win their record breaking 7th natty. Pretty damn sweet, On Wisconsin!

Deathwatch72 t1_jcwywor wrote

That's pretty impressive, definitely one of those left 0 doubt moments

Firelink1290 t1_jcvzk68 wrote

The semifinal was a crazy game too! I’m impressed they were able to recover from that and win against Ohio state.

SpaceTeapot1 t1_jcwds71 wrote

If I recall, the game against LIU didn't take much out of them. They scored 9 goals and allowed 7 shots against.

merten5 t1_jcwxt3i wrote

Semi was against MIN and was a 3-2 OT win.

IMWeggs91 t1_jcw6m45 wrote

Well done ladies! Go Badgers! 🦡

Endesmus t1_jcw8btu wrote

Go Badgers! My old alma mater <3.

skedeebs t1_jcvzxmj wrote

Congratulations! It is a huge achievement that deserves to be celebrated widely. My preferred team went out a few rounds ago.

Smilesunshine57 t1_jcwwu34 wrote

Way to go Badgers! Miss living in Madison, cause no one has fans like us!

JennyTouchedMyPenis t1_jcyh62f wrote

Congratulations to Wisconsin. A great University and fantastic partner in the B1G! -from a U Mich grad.

thecre4ture t1_jcxiv9q wrote

Now let them play our Canadian ladies 🇨🇦

Daamus t1_jcy9etn wrote

gdamn those uniforms are gorgeous

oatsodas31 t1_jczfpok wrote

It sure would be nice if it was on free t.v.

futureal2 t1_jczj42x wrote

Graduated from Wisconsin in 2004. Had the game on in my restaurant in San Diego yesterday and by the end had a whole group of people watching it instead of March Madness. Was actually a great game that was tense the entire time and the shot and goal in the first period was wonderful.

Can't beat a good Frozen Four finale!

Ladyhappy t1_jczjk3o wrote

The amount of badgers in this comment section makes my heart swell

Quezavious t1_jcxif50 wrote

Booooooo. Cheese curds suck!

−17

OHTHNAP t1_jcxioxk wrote

Okay Illinois. See you in Door County in a month.

[deleted] t1_jcwgkwn wrote

[deleted]

−27

NnyIsSpooky t1_jcwnzc2 wrote

The Premiere Hockey Federation is in their playoff push for the Isobel Cup. All their games are available on ESPN+ if you have it and care to watch. I love hockey at every level. Olympic women's hockey is my favorite winter Olympic event. The rivalry between the US and Canada is super intense. I was so stoked to watch the US beat Canada for Gold for the first time in 20 years back in 2018. It was an intense game. There was a great overhead shot of the game winning goal that was my phone background for 2yrs.