Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

klyphw t1_jd1oe61 wrote

This happens pretty much every time the US hosts Cuba in World Cup qualifiers/CONCACAF games

Outrageous-Duck9695 t1_jd241yf wrote

Can we end the embargo already?

WashedupMeatball t1_jd33epi wrote

We should end the embargo but would that stop people from defecting away from Cuba?

wilchao t1_jd3dayd wrote

No, but would provide a much easier path for Cuban players to enter the major leagues.

thegroovemonkey t1_jd3nz5s wrote

>but would that stop people from defecting away from Cuba?

The ability to actually trade with the US?

the_racecar t1_jd47b8m wrote

Maybe. It would release the economic strangle hold that we’ve put Cuban in since the Cold War.

spiderborland t1_jd39kq4 wrote

Hold on... a baseball player overstays their invitation and it's considered defecting, but someone crosses the border and they're an illegal immigrant?

Legit question.

AZraver t1_jd3fhpg wrote

He’s escaping a communist regime country, which when seeking asylum it’s easier to get into American you can say you’re escaping religious\political\violent persecution rather than crossing illegal. (It’s been said that the reason the federal government doesn’t designate the drug cartels terrorist organization because than a flood of “asylum seekers” go the border trying to get in here.) So I think it’s that’s the difference.

spiderborland t1_jd3ft8e wrote

A solid answer. That's fair. However, I feel like recent history doesn't show the US being particularly lenient for even non-Latin asylum seekers. Maybe this is just the establish status quo for the Cuban community.

−17

druidofnecro t1_jd3bwud wrote

No one in Mexico is trying to force them to stay there against their will.

Relyst t1_jd3h9y8 wrote

Most of them trying to cross aren't Mexican.

jopnk t1_jd3qf0m wrote

IIRC any Cuban is granted the ability to stay the moment they touch US soil.

KounetsuX t1_jd3p5k8 wrote

Yes....

These are the same fuckers who then turn around and turn into trump frothing pieces of shit that think illegal immigrants are a massive problem.

Literal pieces of shit. Every single fucking one of them.

−8

ChallengeLate1947 t1_jd3stm4 wrote

I feel what you’re saying bro but Cuba has always had special status. The moment a Cuban fleeing their country touches American soil, they have a legitimate claim for asylum.

Been that way for a long time, since the early days of the embargo

KounetsuX t1_jd6lcyw wrote

Oh, I know, I grew up in Hialeah. It's been that way for decades all one of them has to do is touch sand. Not the millions of hoops any other immigrant has to go through.

V4refugee t1_jd6jqy3 wrote

Who? All Cubans or just the Cubans who support authoritarian dictators and personality cults?

KounetsuX t1_jd6labh wrote

You mean all of them? Cuz I grew up in Hialeah. Bruv, it was all of them.

SSSynced t1_jd41jse wrote

Simply a bullpen catcher? This is just exaggerated news to fuel USA's unjustified hatred towards Cuba. For anyone who says it's to escape Cuban "regime" or "dictatorship", I'm Cuban myself and can confirm it is not true.

−3

HankScorpio42 t1_jd13d44 wrote

If the United States would lift the embargo on Cuba this wouldn't be necessary.

−29

mehwars t1_jd1k2iv wrote

None of America’s allies have an embargo with Cuba. The American embargo can’t be blamed for Cuba’s failures, despite what the Cuban government says.

With that being said, good for this guy.

whatshouldwecallme t1_jd37qqb wrote

Lol why would our allies, all of whom are further away from Cuba (with the notable exception of economic powerhouses like The Bahamas, Cuba, Haiti, and Jamaica) and have smaller economies mean that the embargo does nothing? At worst, it completely prevents goods made by a neighboring advanced economy from entering the country. At best, it increases the cost of acquiring those goods because they have to go through middlemen or simply come from much further away.

The embargo isn't the sole cause of Cuba's economic statua. Arguing that it has had zero impact because Cuba can go elsewhere is asinine dumbassery posing as some sort of "common sense".

HolyGig t1_jd1dysb wrote

Obama tried and the Castros screwed him for it. Spent the whole time whining about Guantanamo. Then Democrats lost Florida in the next election

Then they had to go and support the war against Ukraine. If those issues were not enough, i'm not convinced the regime there even wants the embargo lifted since it gives a convenient scapegoat for their own economic incompetence. Not saying the embargo is right but politically nobody is going to try again for a long time. There is little to be gained on the US side and a lot to lose due to the large anti-Cuba vote in a large swing state. It is what it is.

sketchahedron t1_jd184nv wrote

How so?

HankScorpio42 t1_jd1a2pe wrote

Both Cubans and Americans have restrictions on travel, you cannot travel from the USA to Cuba and vice-versa. I as Canadian can travel to Cuba, and I have, also Cubans can travel to Canada freely.

Most if not all the current Cuban ballplayers playing in MLB have "defected" through 3rd party destinations Mexico or Canada. It's why Randy Arozerena can play for Team Mexico as a Cuban his passport is probably from Mexico or its possible someone in his family is from Mexico. So basically when one decides to do this they're leaving behind all their family and friends due to these restrictions.

−4

sketchahedron t1_jd1dfa6 wrote

Cubans could not travel freely to Canada until 2013. The trade embargo and travel restrictions are two different things.

HolyGig t1_jd1f2r5 wrote

Not really our problem, we don't have to do business with countries we don't like. That regime is supporting the war against Ukraine they are extremely far from blameless in this

redshores t1_jd20a3q wrote

You've mentioned this twice in this thread -- what does Ukraine have to do with Cuba-US relations?

Cool-Ad2780 t1_jd2z5rb wrote

Cuba supports Russia, America supports Ukraine. US doesn’t like Cuba supporting them. It’s really not hard to put that 2+2 together bud