Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WaffleWarrior1979 t1_jdk8br8 wrote

Refs are ruining the NBA. The calls are so inconsistent depending on the team and so many foul calls when the offensive player charges into the defenders means you’re watching free throws for half the game. Together with complaining players and flops it makes for a miserable watching experience.

SBLK t1_jdkbhxs wrote

It was one of the most frustrating things to me as a new fan to the game. I thought watching a full two seasons I would become more educated on what was a block and what was a charge.... it has done the opposite. I can now safely say I have no fucking clue what a call is going to be sometimes.

solitarium t1_jdkfnzc wrote

I’ve just gotten back into the NBA after about a decade off and I can say it’s near impossible to tell what calls are warranted for an old head, 90s-2000s fan. Referee discretion seems to shift dramatically night to night, with no real ebb and flow to the amount of physicality allowed. I’ve seen Luka and Joker come out of timeouts in the fourth quarter totally red from being slapped at, and the following game players don’t contest any shots in the paint for fear of having 3 fouls in the first quarter.

It’s confusing as all hell right now…

saltiestmanindaworld t1_jdkakni wrote

Your getting downvoted, but all you have to do is watch the fouls say Giannis gets over a not superstar center doing the same driving antics he does.

BensenJensen t1_jdkn00w wrote

Giannis commits fouls that would be penalties in the NFL. 90% of the time he ends up on the free throw line because of the contact he initiates.

The league can advertise Giannis as a superstar, though, scoring 31 points a game. The majority of people don't watch games outside of their own team, so they don't realize that he is doing that while shooting 13 free throws a game.

r0botdevil t1_jdkudpx wrote

>Together with complaining players and flops it makes for a miserable watching experience.

The NBA should take a page from the NHL on that. When flopping started happening in games, they put the kibosh on that real quick. I basically can't even watch soccer anymore with all the flopping, and I do not want that to happen to basketball.

ObiFloppin t1_jdkpynj wrote

I don't think it's team to team with the inconsistencies, it's player to player. Everyone gets officiated differently and for some reason it's just an accepted practice.

LordRobin------RM t1_jdl2j7l wrote

But is that anything new, though? For as long as I can remember (and I’m in my 50’s), NBA refs have let big-name stars pick up the ball and run to the net.