Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KindArgument0 OP t1_irrgqb5 wrote

>Dmitry Zakharchuk, the winner of the continental championship, medalist of the World Swimming Championship, is gone

>Dmitry Zakharchuk, the winner of the continental championship, medalist of the world championship in finswimming and master of sports of international class, has died. He died in battle near Kherson. About this on Saturday, October 8, informed Sports Committee of Ukraine.

>Zakharchuk was a graduate of the Youth Sports School “Aqualider” and the winner of many international tournaments. After the start of the large-scale invasion of the Russian Federation, he took up arms

>The Sports Committee of Ukraine clarified that more than 130 Ukrainian athletes died at the front during the war against the invaders

Dreshna t1_irugj0t wrote

Thanks. Tried reading on the site and it seems like each sentence is followed by 3 ads...

lipp79 t1_is11wbr wrote

Yeah they kept trying to sell me office chairs.

DustieBottums t1_irts7v0 wrote

I'm sorry but I don't think this guy is more special than everyone else that dies in combat. It makes it feel like the others were less important when I read these type of headlines. These categories that we put specific humans into is what starts these ware in the first place. I just wish we all looked at each other as one.not trying to be controversial but I want us all treated the same. Ugh, this gets me depressed.

−240

American_Brewed t1_irttt12 wrote

Not the point man. We’re on a sports thread and they’re discussing competitive and top tier athletes dying in a conflict.

DustieBottums t1_irtum39 wrote

Honestly my awareness was not present and didn't even think of what sub it was posted in. I guess it's relevant here. I'm just sickened from people being categorized.probably should have just kept it moving.

−111

Oraxy51 t1_irtywcr wrote

Even as categorized, it’s not by showing worth or some arbitrary value. They are human beings thus they have value. It just highlights what talents are being lost to the war. Athletes, engineers, teachers, salesman, business owners, bakers, everyone is dying. But on a sports thread they will highlight the athletes.

FailureToComply0 t1_irttv58 wrote

The point isn't that he's more or less special than others. The point is the cost of the war.