Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

isthattrulyneeded t1_irwqvub wrote

Uhhh, so anyone in Canada skating today? Just wanna make sure since they way the board pitched it everything was gonna get shut down when they left.

Hungryphenix_dota t1_irwruey wrote

I heard all the lights turned off and all the ice melted in all of the rinks! Minutes after they resigned! /s

boricimo t1_irwzkoe wrote

And Canadians will become the world’s best swimmers now!

WowWataGreatAudience t1_irxa8so wrote

Soon they’ll all be sorry our rinks thawed

dragosn1989 t1_irx01ce wrote

and everyone observed a moment of silence in honour of THEIR victims. Inflated egos have no room in non-profit organizations!

superworking t1_irywurd wrote

Strangely it sounds like the lights are still operating

cabalavatar t1_irxjr0x wrote

It only took 75% of its sponsors jumping ship for them to be forced to do the right thing. Finally.

FeetonmyMeat t1_irynwy1 wrote

Why is there such controversy in Canadian hockey? This just popped in my feed

cabalavatar t1_iryp93b wrote

The Canadian World Juniors have been accused en masse of sexual assaults. Then we found out that the Hockey Canada organization covered it up. Then we found out that it was using taxpayer funds to build up a shush fund (to silence victims of assault). But even after all those now-known problems, the organizers who set up the fund and who swept the assaults under the rug were playing the deny, deny, deny game. Then more public backlash ensued. Then Hockey Canada's sponsors (most of which are huge Canadian brand names) started to jump ship, including Nike, Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire, and more.

Hockey is, umm, kinda huge here, so this has made all sorts of national headlines.

Obviously, if I got any details a bit wrong, someone correct me. But you get the gist.

SeanBourne t1_iryrezu wrote

I know hockey is religion in Canada… but didn’t think they’d behave just like a religion…

GreyGoosey t1_irytwbg wrote

Sadly hockey culture is quite toxic - especially in the lower leagues.

_qoaleth t1_is0ljuq wrote

It’s almost like NOT being religious doesn’t afford any magical protections against being evil any more than being religious DOES.

SeanBourne t1_is3wssw wrote

I mean when was the last time you heard about the agnostic/atheist club that went around tampering with kids?

JacksonHills t1_is03wrw wrote

Also there is the part where parliament wanted to take a closer look at their financials and they refused.

lord_nyggelito t1_is04knm wrote

Beartown, a book about a swedish youth hockey team in that exact situation. Really greate book!

sdbest t1_irwfs0n wrote

Is anyone other than Hockey Canada's CEO and Board shocked by this?

Gamernoob29 t1_irwp56i wrote

Well considering I don't closely follow hockey, I am curious

flare2000x t1_irxtyp2 wrote

Basically Hockey Canada (Canadian organising body for all youth, junior, and amateur hockey, as well as the national teams) has been under fire recently for their management of multiple sex assault cases by players. They used money including player fees (like, everyday registration fees parents pay to have their kids play) to build up a fund meant to settle sex assault cases out of court, and basically sweep everything under the rug. This summer 2 high profile accusations hit the news and the Hockey Canada executive just said they didn't do anything wrong and were refusing to step down or make any changes, when the rest of the entire country was demanding it. The PM actually said that if they don't change the government will just make a new nationalized hockey organising body instead. Finally today after almost every single one of their sponsors left the execs decided to resign. But it really should have happened months ago.

Caveboy0 t1_irz2c72 wrote

That’s incredible. What’s this rush I’m feeling of the government using the bully pulpit for accountability

confusedtophers t1_irwlhia wrote

Its about time. These guys are all 10 ply

MasterOfLight t1_irwq00g wrote

Fuck you Shoresy

E: You guys are cracking me up. Well done.

100FootWallOfFog t1_irx4j5d wrote

Fuck you Jonesy!

Your mom called me last night and said she had a little itch on her lower lip and could I give it a tickle for her?

You're sure as shit I rolled up and gave her the full cob

give your balls a tug!

brobeanzhitler t1_irxhe7k wrote

Fuck you Riley, I fucked your mom so hard last night they are making it a Canadian Heritage moment. Don McKellar is playing my dick.

buster_rhino t1_irxs9dn wrote

Fuck you, Riley– your mom keeps trying to stick a finger in my bum, but I keep telling her I only let Jonesy’s mum do that, you fucking loser.

Clip22 t1_irzg59s wrote

Never heard that phrase until today, fucking fantastic

BubahotepLives t1_irwvhl7 wrote

Now what kind of severance package did they give themselves before stepping down?

Double-Passenger4503 t1_irwvuf4 wrote

Anyone have context? Didn’t know this was happening or even a thing

Steeltownfootball23 t1_irx8jel wrote

they also used league fees from players to build a shush fund. twice....

Mr_MoseVelsor t1_irxiuxo wrote

They used said slush fund to pay off women who brought forth SA claims

GreenCollegeGardener t1_irxpk5i wrote

That’s why he called it a shush fund

buster_rhino t1_irxtbbu wrote

A slush fund built from minor hockey registration fees that was never disclosed to the public. Canadian parents have been unknowingly financing sexual assault settlements for years.

Vespuela t1_irwxpww wrote

Aparently a bunch of sexual assault or misconduct and the reaction from the government body hasnt been great

CrayZ_Squirrel t1_irwufw1 wrote

So I'm not really qualified, per se, for one of these now open board seats, but I guarantee I can manage to not sweep abuse under the rug. Where do I apply to replace these knobs?

Burnaby-Joe t1_irwthtl wrote

PR nightmare for Hockey Canada. Should be used as an example of what not to do.

CyclingHornblower t1_iry0c9p wrote

The shitty thing is that this abuse goes on in many other sports, too: gymnastics, fencing, etc etc etc. But those sports won't be cleaned up anytime soon because there is no financial incentive for them to do so and all the financial incentive to sweep it under the rug.

mudkic t1_iryb60r wrote

Took them long enough

CanuckBee t1_iryyy7p wrote

Good. Better late than never, but my God they were taking the whole organization down with them. What disgusts me is that the culture appears to have not changed, and it looks like kid’s hockey fees went to settle claims with victims of alleged sexual assault by hockey players, some of whom have likely gone on to the NHL.

How come those players did not have to take responsibility, and why did Hockey Canada essentially indemnify them for potential crimes they allegedly committed?

MasterChiefsKief t1_irxq0wb wrote

Gee bahd Scotty really given’er steppin down like that there, eh bud? It’s not like it’s the culture or anything. Root and stem.

fievrejaune t1_iryl16g wrote

What were they waiting for? A negligence insurance payout?

3OrangeWhip t1_irz65zk wrote

Took fucking long enough.

Good luck rebuilding your sponsorship support.

corezay t1_irx7tl1 wrote

Different group, same continuation of problems.

Way_2_Go_Donny t1_is0kufc wrote

Hockey Canada just did the ol' Dump and Change

Sqrandy t1_is0p34b wrote

And they’re moving to America to protest.

Ubigo t1_is1c7gd wrote

Is the entire Board that stepped down listed anywhere? I want to know if Nicholson is out as well.