Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jamesy555 t1_iw1ytjv wrote

Would this game have been a non-contest (maybe slight exaggeration) if England didn’t have someone sent off 20 mins in?

nbro085 t1_iw21oo3 wrote

Yeah, I think it would have been. 14-0 up and NZ were getting crushed by the English forwards but the speed and skill that NZ has in the backline, England needed the cover out wide. Having that taken away, and for 60 minutes no less, is a mammoth ask.

In saying that it was absolutely a red card, all day, every day, and she also took out NZs best player with a concussion in the process.

nbro085 t1_iw21tgx wrote

They were also lucky to not be playing with 13, as there was a deliberate knock down during that piece of play which is a penalty and a yellow card too!

PolyGlotCoder t1_iw38hkw wrote

It would have been a penalty and not a yellow; since there was cover.

Even so you don’t chain penalties like thatz

Edit: downvoted for knowing the laws? I’ll explain, deliberate knock on is a penalty - not an automatic yellow card. It is escalated to a yellow card normally if your stopping a line break. If it’s close enough to be stopping a try that would be a penalty try and a yellow card. It was only a penalty and because the foul play was picked up and awarded no further action was warranted.

Long_Antelope_1400 t1_iw4goen wrote

It would have been a penalty and a yellow but not a penalty try.

And they do chain penalties like that in Rugby. You often hear a ref say there is a new advantage after a previous advantage, often for off sides when teams are in the attacking zone and the new penalty is closer to the posts.

Jlx_27 t1_iw38axe wrote

That basically made this a 10 v disabled 11 match. So it balanced out.

−10

AndydaAlpaca t1_iw20bpe wrote

I would agree if it weren't for the fact that it meant we also lost Portia Woodman who was on fire before that.

Nizzleson t1_iw1z2x2 wrote

I think so, yeah. But the card was deserved, and you gotta play the game in front of you.

Jamesy555 t1_iw1z54q wrote

Yeah, I agree. Props to NZ, they still had to turn it around, extra player or no.