Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YurtYurtBaby t1_iw56yz1 wrote

They've been playing rugby union internationally since the 80s, they're far from shit. Australian rugby isn't in a great place right now due to two different codes clashing, but both teams are exceptional.

TheBigCore t1_iw5avbc wrote

Australia favors Rugby League and Aussie Rules Football, so Rugby Union is a distant third there.

duckybahh t1_iw5x8ru wrote

Rugby Union is almost at the point of it even being a top 10 sport in Australia and has extremely low viewership numbers

Pons__Aelius t1_iw5ze9q wrote

The move to pay TV killed Aus Rugby.

Same with Cricket.

kocknocker19 t1_iw5vzlu wrote

Union is behind Cricket, soccer and perhaps even basketball too. It's a joke compared to where it was 20 years ago

Mosh83 t1_iw6c6qb wrote

Wait, I moved away from Australia in 1996, and I remember Rugby League being the more popular? Or does memory fail me, it's been a long time.

[deleted] t1_iw6q1ej wrote

[deleted]

Mosh83 t1_iw6q6jd wrote

Just he said Union is a joke to what it was 20 years ago, did Union have some spurt of popularity in the early 2000s or has it been a constant downhill?

chattywww t1_iw601jg wrote

How come it seems (may be mistaken) but Union players are paid better than League

Aussiechimp t1_iw6343b wrote

Not in Australia, plus there are 17 fully pro league team, 18 Pro Aussie Rules teams and dozen of semi pro. There are 5 Pro union teams.