Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChapitoDito t1_j6fr7s0 wrote

TIL Denmark has won 3 handball championships in a row TIL there’s handball championships

Unknown1776 t1_j6fwpk8 wrote

Apparently they’ve been going on since 1938. I didn’t realize how old the sport was

coffeyobey t1_j6gas3b wrote

Nobody else did either.

−14

darksemmel t1_j6hbpkj wrote

Tell that to anyone in Europe, you'd be surprised...

nbnno5660 t1_j6oncmy wrote

Yep it's a really popular sport here in Europe. Even the womens championship.

JayNN t1_j6hlpji wrote

It's a huge sport in Europe and rightfully so.

Drahy t1_j6i5239 wrote

It's a big sport most places except North America and UK, actually.

ChapitoDito t1_j6icenx wrote

Came back to say please excuse my North Americanism , TIL also that handball is a huge sport everywhere but 2 spots on the globe and I happen to be from one.

GravelLot t1_j6jp2t4 wrote

Is it really? Looking at the wiki page for it, it seems like it is overwhelmingly European. There is almost no presence in SA, NA, and a small presence in Asia and Africa.

Seems more accurate to say it's big in Europe and not very big in most of the rest of the world.

Drahy t1_j6jrtl5 wrote

Men 2023:

• NA: USA was there
  • SA: Argentina, Chile, Brazil and Uruguay
  • ME: 4 teams
  • Africa: 5 teams
  • Asia: Korea

Women 2021:

• NA: Puerto Rico (US)
  • SA: Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay
  • ME: Iran
  • Africa: 4 teams
  • Asia: 5 teams

You're right that handball like football is very much rooted in Europe. Football has the WC every fourth year and handball has the WC every second year.

I don't know any other sport than football and handball, that can't have the WC every year.

GravelLot t1_j6ju5ew wrote

Thanks, yeah, seems like it is not especially popular outside of Europe. It doesn't seem much like football, which is genuinely popular everywhere. Seems like tennis, golf, basketball, ice hockey, and baseball and maybe more have as much or more widespread popularity.

MysticMac100 t1_j6hlx7v wrote

It’s literally one of the most popular sports in the world

GravelLot t1_j6jo4mk wrote

Is it really? I googled a bit and everything I find has it outside the top 10, and many sources have it outside the top 20 most popular sports in the world.

DeezNeezuts t1_j6gwdy8 wrote

I work with some Danes this and pickle ball is all the rage

Chenksoner t1_j6frr56 wrote

God I wish we had this sport in North America.

Freezingtake t1_j6g5qjw wrote

USA literally had a team in this exact tournament. So it must be some place I guess

Chenksoner t1_j6gimli wrote

I was exposed to it in Physical education in Canada, and felt like I had potential. Wasn’t able to find a place to play more, and I was in a large city by Canadian standards.

btmvideos37 t1_j6gkyjs wrote

Yeah. Well we always called it “European handball” in my PE classes in Canada. So I always assumed outside of school it was a Europe thing

cloudyrabbit0 t1_j6ilnbc wrote

European handball or those little scooters things that you’d sit on and try not to run over your fingers were the best gym days

[deleted] t1_j6g0h4x wrote

[deleted]

−14

anderhole t1_j6gb1uj wrote

>Man aren't comfortable enough with their sexuality to play "handball" in NA. Rather play slapass instead.

Wouldn't playing slapass make them more comfortable with their sexuality?

RedPine1234 t1_j6gkw8k wrote

You clearly have never been in a fraternity…or the military…or on a sports team in a locker room…or…

−2

Chenksoner t1_j6gifwl wrote

I remember reading a Dirk Nowitski interview, where in Germany Handball is for men and basketball is for women. I don’t understand how it wouldnt be considered a ‘manly’ enough sport.

QualityOverQuant t1_j6h2zuu wrote

Opening paragraph from the article translated below

“Whoever wields the pen writes the story. That's how it has to be. And one fine day we will hopefully understand the greatness of the seconds we witnessed when jubilant Danish handball players stormed a hall floor in Stockholm. Rasmus Lauge looked like someone who had won 120 million in Lotto, while Mikkel Hansen's small, unrestrained jumps out on the Danish bench put the performance in perspective. Denmark are world champions for the third time in a row after the final victory of 34-29 over the French. An unprecedented title harvest on the men's side, moving commas in the history books. Forward with the chest. Another star must be printed on the national team jerseys.”

Congrats Denmark 🇩🇰

AverageOccidental t1_j6hx53z wrote

Denmark also won 3 CSGO majors in a row, the only team/country to do it

BowwwwBallll t1_j6gsmra wrote

Thierry Henry has entered the chat

Thesorus t1_j6hse2u wrote

I loved handball in high-school, but I could not play it, my hands were too small to hold the ball properly.

[deleted] t1_j6guvlf wrote

[deleted]

−46

TakedaGohei t1_j6gxfgv wrote

I would like to see you play 2x 30 min, with sprints most of the time, back and forth.

Elune_ t1_j6hfyc5 wrote

It has always been incredible to me how many morons feel the need to belittle achievements of others by being “original” and saying their sport isn’t a sport or irrelevant.

Like, what do you get out of this? All you’re doing is damaging the reputation of your own favorite sports. The danish team is world class in one of the most physical sports in the world. Arguably more physical than American Football by far.

Brugor t1_j6i33e2 wrote

As a guy who follows NBA, handball and NFL (and occasionally cycling) I can say the worst sport injuries I’ve seen was in hand ball. The physical requirements for handball are pretty high. The strength and agility this sport requires is impressive.

KongRahbek t1_j6htgwe wrote

Meanwhile Nascar is on the front page as well.

Qiep t1_j6gy1og wrote

Sports like ice hockey?

−2

Bubbasully15 t1_j6hwjk2 wrote

You’re doing the same belittling shit they are. You’re not better.