Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j983nln wrote

LeeOblivious t1_j993jzh wrote

More like they just do not care because there is no penalty for them breaking the law like that.

[deleted] t1_j993ue1 wrote

[deleted]

LeeOblivious t1_j994aps wrote

I appreciate the work they try to do in the community, and SPD has generally been a class act when I deal with them. But police culture in general and my experience would indicate that if they do not know then they just do not care to know and there are no repercussions anyway even if they did. It is a relatively minor gripe I realize. But I do hold public servants to a higher standard than joe blow meth head.

Wrinklestiltskin t1_j9aclkz wrote

To be entirely honest, I'm not really sure what they do with their time.. They certainly don't have a good track record for solving crimes, or even investigating so many, according to many personal accounts. Also have never seen SPD pull anyone over for anything in Springfield. Lived here long enough to see crazy ass traffic violations right in front of cops, with absolutely no consequences. I've only really seen them respond to homeless people, just shoeing them away. Most of the time they have not responded well to people in mental health crisis. Look at the rape kit fiasco. SPD did nothing about those scumbag teenagers who were violently attacking our LGBTQ+ community, and one of them was the son of someone on the force.

In all seriousness, what does SPD do with their time?

LeeOblivious t1_j9az600 wrote

Mostly they spend their time running from one call to the next. Thanks to the sorry state of our basic human services, shit economy, and infinite money for jails but none for treatment philosophy of our leadership. It basically is one vicious circle.

Our leadership is straight up incompetent in this regard. 10 million + for a giant gas station (that does not allow Semi-trucks which we actually might have needed) when we have plenty of them already. 16 million + for a sports ball stadium that cannot meet its own operating costs. Yet how much for addiction treatment? Mental health care? Sidewalks, bike lanes, public transport to make it easier for poor folk to get to job's or services? And so forth, you know things that are actually proven to work to help stop crime.