Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MinamotoYoritomo t1_iqqyai3 wrote

Corner 21, but it's more traditional Chinese.

dead_wit_laugh t1_iqroe5h wrote

This place is an unreal treasure. I travel for work so I eat Chinese all over the nation and Corner 21 is still number 1. I was just in Los Angeles, which should be a mecca for good Chinese and I was repeatedly disappointed.

Globalksp t1_iqs4lp7 wrote

Popping in here as a recent LA transplant… it’s a massive city and it has phenomenal Chinese food, but not at the corner American Chinese shop. Ya gotta know where to go. Also 2nd Corner 21, but still quite “Americanized”

dead_wit_laugh t1_iqt0z5i wrote

Hop Woo on Broadway and Won Kok on Alpine. Just OK. The Korean food really stood out for me in LA versus the Chinese but since it's an essentially infinite city, you'd need hundreds of trips to sort the good stuff. Reveal your spots if you're willing!

Globalksp t1_iqtev3x wrote

Happy to! Like NYC it’s more neighborhood and dish based than one restaurant. And in LA that means getting out of LA proper… Alhambra is a solid start (south of Pasadena) for southeast Asian and pan Asian. City of Industry for Chinese. In DTLA Japanese is the go to. Being a fan of xao long bao, I never found a go to spot in LA. Here’s a good cheat sheet: https://la.eater.com/maps/best-chinese-restaurants-los-angeles

EpicMemorableName t1_iqtmqyb wrote

Springfield isn't built on traditional Chinese. We're built on Leong's Cashew Chicken and 100 restaurants trying to copy it.