Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

pile_of_holes t1_itxkdf1 wrote

First there was that fire at the pork rinds place. Now the doggone train derailed?

This can only mean one thing.

The darn Baldknobbers are coming for your trousers!

pimms_pup1993 t1_itybqay wrote

OMG- Fire in the Hole was my first and favorite rollercoaster as a kid and then I grew up and thought about it years later and was like “people were wearing sheets with hoods and burning people’s houses down and I once rode that thing 13 times in a row because I could.”

I’ve since done more research on the Baldknobbers and it’s fascinating, but for a minute I was concerned about what my fuzzy kid-brained memories had witnessed repeatedly.

I grew up going to Dogpatch, USA as well, so you never know. 😂

RobCali509 t1_iu06p91 wrote

I remember as a kid being afraid to ride Fire in the Hole after it accidentally went down a service track and decapitated someone.

pimms_pup1993 t1_iu0colu wrote

Fortunately I read about that happened WAY after the fact or nobody would’ve ever talked me into riding it in the first place.

rhiannononon t1_iu1rx9a wrote

that was real??? i thought my sisters just said that to scare me oh my god

RobCali509 t1_iu1wrwx wrote

It's real, I remember when it happened. Everyone was freaking out about it.

RealNotFake t1_itzcs4p wrote

I think the pork rinds are completely gone now, that area where they used to be has been completely leveled and blocked off behind a construction fence. :(

VisualBeggar t1_itxm6us wrote

Imagine you’re a kid, afraid to ride the rollercoasters so you hop on the chillest ride there, the train. Then this happens

MartonianJ t1_itxkx95 wrote

“This here’s a stick up” holds a stick up

r1verbend t1_itxlms9 wrote

I’m just glad they never gave me a new bellybutton!

jw8533 t1_itxm7bz wrote

The Baldknobbers are getting better at their work

Lowe5521 t1_itxzav9 wrote

It's because they still let Ole' Ichabod drive it at a blistering three and a half miles per hour around those bends.

If you can hear us Ichabod, give us three toots on your whistle

... ...

That was only two toots, Ichabod... Oh well

SleeplessInMisery t1_itxxbq3 wrote

Try the newest ride at Silver Dollar City! It’s totally off the rails!!!

Railcharger t1_itxkk78 wrote

The special effects are getting out of hand.

WheresYourTegridy t1_itxx62s wrote

Ichabod must’ve have some lead in his foot today.

wellaware12 t1_itxy26b wrote

I was on the train…they just started telling the story when it tipped!

WheresYourTegridy t1_itygqmk wrote

Is this before or after they tell you the train has no brakes? I can’t remember. Better question: did the derailment occur before or after they informed you the train had no brakes?

Edit: can’t fucking type

wellaware12 t1_itzmvme wrote

It happened after no brakes…just as they started talking about the drunk conductor derailing the train.

Maxwyfe t1_iu003nw wrote

I hope you are alright and not providing details from the hospital.

r1verbend t1_itxk2z9 wrote

Woa! What in the world?! I sure hope everyone is okay. I’m curious as to what happened. I hope the train is back in action soon. That’s always been one of my favorite attractions.

Numerous-Mix-9775 t1_itxq80v wrote

KY3 said they only needed to transport four to the hospital, none with serious injuries. Not bad for having 100-150 people on it.

Edit: SDC press release says six guests and one employee.

VictoryTheScreech t1_iu0vgku wrote

Thats a relief. I work in the Cox ER and we heard about it almost immediately after it happened. We figured we’d get a flood of traumas because of this. I’m glad mostly everyone was okay. I’d been on standby in case they needed more hands on deck

CetiCeltic t1_itzvjqb wrote

I had heard that there was a tiger that escaped the sanctuary down the way and was laying on the tracks. Conductor slammed the breaks and the train popped off the rails.

[deleted] t1_itxo43i wrote

[deleted]

sirwillow77 t1_itxq3lt wrote

The mechanic was killed because of their own negligent actions (they didn't lock out when they were in a safety secured area like they were supposed to). That has nothing to do with the train.

If you know anything about the train then you have a clue about how meticulous those engineers and workers are with it

Maybe find out what happened first before making broad judgements?

WheresYourTegridy t1_itxw87n wrote

Here’s what I do know: those engineers get paid minimum wage to service those engines.

sirwillow77 t1_ity4t3c wrote

Guess you don't know much then. No, they don't. Know them all personally and they get paid more than that. Their wages aren't any of your business, but they get paid decent enough.

And they love their work and those engines.

garcia_later t1_itz1x1b wrote

People’s wages are everyone’s business. That secrecy favors the corporate owners. Stand up for workers.

Mysteroo t1_itzjzzd wrote

Revealing private info about a person's wages is not "standing up for workers." Giving them the freedom to decide whether or not to disclose that information is

The dude you're responding to has worked with those engineers for years. He'd know the facts of the matter a lot better than you might

garcia_later t1_iu0qxb1 wrote

Wages aren’t private information. Knowledge is power. Owners and bosses have conditioned us to think our low wage is a result of our low value.

−2

Mysteroo t1_iu1qkcn wrote

Stop abusing the injustice of underpaid workers to justify your own grubby need to know everyone's personal info. Maybe you don't care about privacy but some of us still do.

I'll happily tell anyone what I make and there's no shame in that - but NO ONE has the right to know that information without my consent.

Knowledge IS power. And that's exactly why corporations are trading and selling personal data more than any other commodity. Maybe don't enable them

garcia_later t1_iu26a3j wrote

Wow Have fun being mad

I don’t have any need or desire to know what everyone makes. What I’m saying is the culture of secrecy around pay in general is a problem and keeps wages artificially low because coworkers don’t talk about it. And that’s what owners want. Have a great life.

Mysteroo t1_iu3wxbs wrote

Admittedly I was a tad upset when I typed that- but I feel like that's understandable given the context

You're 100% right about the fact that we shouldn't act like our wages are private in the same way that our underwear size is. And culture does indeed empower corporations in that way. No disagreement there

Let's just not pretend like that makes it OUR business to know what OTHER people make. It's better to empower people to share that info themselves than to try and make that choice for them.

sirwillow77 t1_iu0bea9 wrote

I'll accept that when you post your wages and income taxes on your social media and link it here for everyone to see...

I have a feeling that none of the people liking your comment are putting their income levels out there for everyone either.

WheresYourTegridy t1_itygge7 wrote

I guess the engineer I talked to servicing an engine a few years back outside the depot was lying to me then.

−14

WheresYourTegridy t1_ityhseo wrote

Wrong. They are my business if I want to know, not illegal pal.

−22

Mysteroo t1_itzkj3n wrote

There's a difference between something being illegal and something being an invasion of privacy.

It's not illegal, but it isn't your business. If they want to share how much they make, that's their choice

sirwillow77 t1_ity7lmf wrote

And just to clarify: the engineers are all considered mechanics and are paid as such, which is a very different, and higher, pay scale than the ones operating rides and registers in the park.

And most of those also get paid better than minimum wage, especially in the last couple of years with the rise in wages everywhere.

Mysteroo t1_itzktkt wrote

In what world is SDC's food mediocre though

It's GOURMET compared to other amusement parks. They've repeatedly won awards for their food

Cold417 t1_itxojwc wrote

>seems like they are going a tad downhill since I was a kid.

Nah, it's better than ever...especially with the new "furniture store" and "onsite employee housing" attractions coming down the pipe.

RealNotFake t1_itzd2r8 wrote

I was just at SDC a couple weeks ago and it it's very much still a great experience. A few too many construction walls right now but it will be back to full steam soon enough. The new shed/building they constructed is HUUUUGEE.

kcintrovert t1_itzlc4z wrote

I think that's going to be the Fire in the Hole replacement?

MyKungFuIsBest_2020 t1_itzywct wrote

They better never replace fire in the hole

kcintrovert t1_itzzbkt wrote

This is the last season for the current one sadly

MyKungFuIsBest_2020 t1_itzzfti wrote

What?! Well that ruined my day. That is literally my favorite ride.

kcintrovert t1_iu011cr wrote

I know. We haven't been to SDC in a few years and thankfully planned to go this year and I'm glad we did after reading that news. My sister is bummed because my niece is still too little to ride and now she'll never be able to. My thought is it must be too expensive to maintain anymore because at this point it's such an institution. It would be like taking out the flooded mine.

MyKungFuIsBest_2020 t1_iu01a9e wrote

FITH and the flooded mine are like SDCs version of E ticket rides. They are classics. I’m definitely going later this month.

jerslan t1_iu1bnh2 wrote

Flooded mine/cave or the shoot-em-up ride through the flooded prison?

Both were awesome.

MyKungFuIsBest_2020 t1_iu1cq8y wrote

The cave is cool, but I was talking about the flossed mine shooting ride.

jerslan t1_iu1des6 wrote

Is it a flooded mine? Or a flooded prison? It's been a looong time since I've been, but I seem to remember that ride having something of a prison break theme to it.

MyKungFuIsBest_2020 t1_iu1dln5 wrote

It’s a flooded prison mine and the prisoners are trying to escape.

jerslan t1_iu1dou9 wrote

Ah, so both :) Like I said, it's been a while :P

emmerl t1_iu23hi6 wrote

WHAT. I moved to Texas and haven’t been back to SDC in years. I’m a little heartbroken.

sgf-guy t1_ity314l wrote

I’m in my 40s so I welcome the idea of having the past be more glamorous due to being a kid…

But SDC is now basically rides, shopping, and overpriced food. Very random opportunities to find a great deal to visit. I have seen some good concerts front row because I bought the park admission and the special bracelet. But as a normal person…to me it’s not worth a day admission or even a season pass more than about every 5 years or so. I see glances of SDC glad to build new rides but barely supporting older things.

Wikipedia says there are 5 engines in service at SDC…engine didn’t tip…the cars look newer in construction and if they have 5 engines they prob have some passenger cars available.

Branson is in this weird period of transition…but it will never be a viable economy for the local worker there until they figure out a true year round model. Housing in Stone/Taney is WAY overpriced because of retirement homes with cheap money but workers work 8months a year on average.

[deleted] t1_ity7pfe wrote

[deleted]

robzilla71173 t1_iu053hy wrote

I remember back when Wayne Milnes, aka Sammy B. Goode, was one of those characters. He was fun. I believe he was the mortician who would pop out of a coffin hiding place and measure people as they walked past.

Every been to Casa Bonita in Denver? It's like that with performers. Constant chases and gunfights through the restaurant.

Infinite-Variation31 t1_iu0jbqv wrote

Upon hearing the news my husband said “god damn, those robbers finally got it”

smith_winston_1984 t1_ity43sn wrote

Did Ichabod get in the moonshine again and take that corner at a blazing 8 miles an hour?

littlecello024 t1_itzp5ax wrote

I just figured they let Ichabod drive the train again after his moonshine. Sorry...I know that spiel by heart. I couldn't help myself. Glad nobody was seriously hurt!

Kazyctn t1_itzth9z wrote

It’s a me, Mario!

Numerous_Brief t1_iu0sdip wrote

Jesse and Frank James must have BLEW THE TRAIN UP after ROBBING IT 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

lifepuzzler t1_iu0wflm wrote

#THE DANG BALDKNOBBERS ARE AT IT AGEEYUN!

Automatic-Gain6227 t1_iu14eal wrote

Put a penny on the track, and it just gets squished flat.

Put a silver dollar on the track...

dropnad_tosspin t1_iu1rl2c wrote

One more guy standing on top, and they can probably get it back on the rails.

Bruno617 t1_iu1a4fy wrote

and if someone says happy holidays, say Merry Christmas. That’s what they told me on that train