Submitted by Aikyudo t3_yrf314 in springfieldMO

With hunting season upon us, I am reminded yet again how I long for my own deer furs. I don't hunt myself, by my interests align with sewing, quilting, and I even did vehicle upholstery as a summer job once.

I realized leather making is probably within my skill-set but I haven't any tools to process the skins, nor do I have a firm grasp on the process.

If there are any leather makers in the Springfield area (I live right outside Republic) willing to take in an apprentice this year, I would much appreciate it.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BetterMakeAnAccount t1_ivtb5hh wrote

You might’ve done this already but you might ask Springfield Leather Company if they know anyone.

Aikyudo OP t1_ivtbdg0 wrote

I haven't actually! I figured they were just a retailer who got product shipped in and probably wouldn't know anyone who does what is basically backyard tanning

tdawg-1551 t1_ivth7c7 wrote

That place is way more than just a retailer. They do a ton of custom work.

Aikyudo OP t1_ivtihgs wrote

Just trying to find a fellow local who tans in their backyard or something to get me some instruction lol

Low_Tourist t1_ivtka1l wrote

I'd ask them. They may be able to hook you up with a customer. They waver between being really helpful and really not.

There's a guy in there that looks like he's about mid-30s that is fair complected and has very short light colored hair that usually wears a head covering and often a mask. He's super friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, his name escapes me right now.

edit: words are hard in the morning

BetterMakeAnAccount t1_ivtecp5 wrote

Full disclosure I don't know anything about the leather side (I only ever go there for fossils and rocks) but just from looking around they seem to have a lot of resources, with classes and events and stuff. I'd give it a shot!