Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sgf-guy t1_iw1bxyd wrote

While not a client of the shelters, I have visited the shelters.

I also have been around a fair amount of homeless due to where I live.

My first thing would be to establish a thing where 2nd shift labor could “stay a few hours late” and 1st shift could come in early…3rd shift…that’s your daylight so up to you.

Honestly I’d work with local employers to push this option. You work a half a shift after/before your shift once a month you get PTO/OT. A ton of technical nuance from an HR standpoint but it’s a start.

I know the human body is very adaptable…I work outside. I don’t live outside.

Yes, the shelters are in churches but they aren’t out there making you take in a sermon to be warm.

I can think of a couple specific homeless folks I know and have seen in the past month who I know will enter winter starting tonight. One should honestly be in long term mental care and the other seems very experienced.

I say this…if you are willing to work a half a shift late or a half a shift early or an overnight or maybe less…maybe once a month for PTO, a shortened workweek or whatever, suggest this to your boss. They may say we can only do a person a week or whatever reality…but it’s real life. And helpful.

Deceptivejunk t1_iw1rgc2 wrote

Can you elaborate on the PTO/OT objective?

EcoAffinity t1_iw3ncid wrote

Basically the employer incentivizing community volunteering for their employees.

Always_0421 t1_iw63mb4 wrote

Real.questuon. if they're faced with closing due to a shortage of volunteers, why can the homeless who are using the shelter not act as volunteers?

howl_alok t1_iw3p1d6 wrote

Anyone have information on locale? I'd be more than happy to volunteer for this weekend given the drastic cold but the office is closed currently.

[deleted] t1_iw0q16r wrote

[removed]

−31

Zarrotox t1_iw0tcko wrote

Name checks out

SoftInteraction6568 t1_iw17alv wrote

He's been a cold dick for a while now. Don't know why but every time I see him here he seems to not give a dam people struggling

[deleted] t1_iw1j4i4 wrote

[deleted]

−13

SoftInteraction6568 t1_iw1kg5d wrote

>said you were being a cold dick not that you are one. but if you think your a cold dick then I guess dude. don't know you don't care to know you .