Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Use_the_Loofah t1_iwad6rf wrote

Why do you want to be put under for a procedure that takes all of 10 minutes? I was directed by my doctor to take a heavy dose of Ibuprofen 2 hours beforehand (I'm talking 800mg), and take the rest of the day off of work to deal with any cramping and discomfort afterwards. I can't think of any reason why getting an iud would require the risks of going under general anesthesia. If you're simply anxious about the procedure your doctor may be able to prescribe Xanax or something similar to take beforehand. Edit: I made some pretty awful assumptions, and I apologize.

−12

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwadl1m wrote

I've had it done before. I did 800 MG two hours before. I passed out during insertion because it hurt so badly. After that I didn't have much issues with spotting or cramping but the idea of going through it again scares me as has for the past several months.

Use_the_Loofah t1_iwafkqu wrote

Wow, I'm sorry that it was that painful for you! I never realized it would be like that for some people. I guess I'm just lucky that it didn't feel like anything more than severe cramps. I suppose the first thing you should do is check if your insurance covers general anesthesia. It might be cost prohibitive otherwise.

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwagha2 wrote

Also thank you for apologizing it means a lot. Some people still act like it's no big deal even after I tell them about the first round. Again. Next to nothing after the fact. That 10 minute procedure was HELL.

Use_the_Loofah t1_iwbztuu wrote

Yeah, I immediately thought of my two prior experiences with general anesthesia (the aftermath was not good - I was vomiting and extremely out of it for at least a full day) and was thinking why would anyone want to feel like that for something that is over so quickly. Sorry again for my assumptions.

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwc29p6 wrote

And im over here like why not anesthesia? Because I've never had a bad experience with it! Lol! Learning experience for both of us.

HappyGoIdiot OP t1_iwag1el wrote

I figured. The first time, the gyno acted like it wasn't even an option when my friend was about to get anesthesia for it while in her home country and was horrified it's not standard here.