Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

the_honeyman t1_j1nimc0 wrote

What brand of feed are you using?

Edit: also, you're feeding that much on pasture based poultry? Do you not have enough room for them to forage when it's warm? That sounds high for "free-range" chickens. Not in quotes because I'm making fun of you, just hate the term free-range.

SeaboltFamilyFarm OP t1_j1nj0pt wrote

Nature's best but currently working with a local mill to find a more local option for feed that can hopefully reduce cost!

the_honeyman t1_j1nj4d1 wrote

Damn yea there's the place to cut more costs. Also I edited that comment above, just so you know.

SeaboltFamilyFarm OP t1_j1njx40 wrote

Also if you send me an email I can send pictures of the process in which the birds are raised and go more into detail of how it works!

the_honeyman t1_j1ococq wrote

I'm pretty familiar. My whole family are/have been farmers. I admire the dedication to the grind.

SeaboltFamilyFarm OP t1_j1njrve wrote

Yes but when living in Tyson and Georges country finding a local option trustworthy is the hard part but these chickens aren't exactly free range they're raised in a Chicken tractor 12'×12' to help with predator loss and to control where they go on pasture this breed of chicken is lazy and lethargic but it produces the most meat the fastest due to genetics and breed so it's the most cost worthy option for an 8 week grow time most other birds would be half the size in double the time so the outdoor Chicken tractor allows protection exercise sunlight bugs fresh grass we rotate 6 tractors with around 84 birds in each one moved across the pasture 2x per day