Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DanielPhermous t1_j9r6fvs wrote

> Women, especially going through puberty, are going to have more self image issues.

But you suggested that's all it is. Do you honestly think that, say, advertising with all the perfect models on show there, has no impact on the self-image of girls and women?

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9r74on wrote

I think it exacerbates what's already there, but I do not see a solution to that, how would you stop that? This article is just an anecdote and not news to anyone. It started with magazines, then MTV, now the Internet... it will never go away. Girls will always find a way to compare themselves to other girls. The only solution is dealing directly with the women that are being advertised to. Self-esteem starts from within.. putting blinders on these girls won't help. I'm sorry if I come off as impatient.. It's hard to be compassionate when you see things like this

Noman800 t1_j9rwu0k wrote

This article is citing a professor who has collected a pretty significant body of studies showing that social media has directly caused a significant increase in mental health issues in adolescence girls.

It's not just an anecdote, it's far more than this article. Did you read it?

The_Bridge_Imperium t1_j9rz832 wrote

This is news to no one, there are a litany of studies about women and low self-esteem, It's just natural

Noman800 t1_j9rzfu7 wrote

So you're just an ass who didn't read any of the studies. Good to know so I don't waste my time.