Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fluteofski- t1_ja1llma wrote

If I were you, unless you’re using that truck for local work I’d probably look at replacing that sienna with a smaller EV first. Electric trucks still have a ways to go, and the efficiency leaves a lot to be desired. They claim MPGe is 70mpg but depending on your rates it could be closer to like 35mpg.

We have an ev, but I also still have my 92 1/2 ton truck I use for just truck things. It’s dirt cheap to keep running, but most of our miles are on the smaller electric car which gets a real world equivalent of 100mpg (give or take depending on where you live, cost of gas, cost of electricity.)

On our smaller ev we save around $10k~$15k over the next 100k miles by going electric.

I’m personally really looking forward to what the next generation of trucks will bring in terms of efficiency (aerodynamic focus) which will also help with range.

whyreadthis2035 t1_ja1oie5 wrote

Good points. 4 things come into play here. 1) we have a solar roof that overproduces, since we’ve made other energy cuts. So I’ve got a little “free electricity” to use. 2) we’re about 60. As described by the 06 vintage of our current vehicles, we run them into the ground. So our time is now, not next Gen. 3) my wife REALLY REALLY doesn’t want a small vehicle. 4) With the kids out of the house we’d like to go to 1 vehicle. We’ve passed the age where the minivan is the perfect vehicle. Since we still enjoy our yard work, the pickup becomes the perfect vehicle. In truth we rarely push the reported 300 mile range. So yeah.. when they were first reported at 40-60k I wanted to take the risk. Last year the model I liked was 70k. So we’re putting it off, for now.

fluteofski- t1_ja1q8jw wrote

Oh yeah. Sounds like you’d be a good candidate for it.

My wife charges for free at work, so we kinda considered it too (charge at work, and backfeed to the house when she gets home). It’s a bummer they’re so damn expensive.

One thing you’ll wanna keep in mind is that if you’re only producing an extra 2kw and you’re charging at 7kw (L2), you’re gonna be pulling 5kw from the power company. So you’ll probably want a charger that you can limit to 2~3kw…. We do that by only using the 1.5kw charger that came with the car and plug it in to the 110v outlet.

traws06 t1_ja1m9zw wrote

How do you convert electric vehicles to miles per gallon?

fluteofski- t1_ja1ok9r wrote

Well, you by your electricity in United of kilowatt-hours (KWh). 1000w for 1hr is a KWh. In order to compare it to gas costs, you need is miles/kWh. (I’m assuming you’re in the US where you don’t calculate gas as Liters/100km).

The simplest thing you can do is take the range of the car, and divide by the size of the battery… (the EPA range you see here in the US is a good place to start)

So. We have a 1st Gen ioniq, which has a 38.5KWh battery, and it gets 170 miles per charge. So the math goes:

170 / 38.5 = 4.4 miles/kWh. (Which is really good)

(In reality, commuting at lower speeds we usually average 190miles/charge.)

Anyways, now that you have your miles/kWh, you go to your power bill and look at how much you’re paying per kWh. And how much gas costs.

So in our case we pay about $0.28/kWh and gas is $5.00/gallon.

So then you do ($gas) / ($kWh):

$5.00 / $0.28 = 17.8 you can buy 17.8kwh for the same as a gallon)

Next you multiply the kWh you can buy with the miles/kWh.

17.8 x 4.4 = 79 mpg based on epa mileage. And local electricity and gas costs.

traws06 t1_ja1qn6y wrote

Thanks. I always wondered if that was what that meant. 35 mph is really good gas mileage. Gas trucks don’t get that