Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

eleven-fu t1_jactru8 wrote

*only if using Chrome or Edge.

CheesyRamen66 t1_jae4mx3 wrote

Does it not work with other chromium based browsers?

eleven-fu t1_jae4ul1 wrote

Unsure. The changelog only mentions the feature working with Chrome and Edge, specifically.

[deleted] t1_jaf4e7u wrote

I have a feeling it works just fine on other browsers.

eugene20 t1_jaehgy5 wrote

The browser has to support it itself, so if they get new builds based on chromium new code then they probably will.

CheesyRamen66 t1_jaeietw wrote

So video super resolution code is part of the chromium code and not a part of “chrome only” code?

benowillock t1_jad0i9w wrote

This tech would be more useful if it worked in VLC or MPC.

I want to watch Deep Space 9 in HD 😞

McHox t1_jadcwwd wrote

caspissinclair t1_jadxxm1 wrote

It works well for animation. I tried out an old 480p movie and there is a noticeable increase in sharpness and detail.

king0pa1n t1_jaen9n1 wrote

Oh crap could this dethrone MadVR if you have a good enough GPU?

CheesyRamen66 t1_jae2huy wrote

If the code is freely available what are the odds we’ll eventually see it come to Firefox, either vanilla or through extension?

McHox t1_jae2lb7 wrote

I wouldn't hold my breath, Firefox can't even do hdr yet

HorseRadish98 t1_jae4w3p wrote

There are projects that are working on this, this tech isn't new, it's been out for a few years. Unfortunately DS9 used a lot of halo and blur, so it's hard to upscale. There was never a lot of detail to begin with so it's hard to latch onto what little there is.

ajcoll5 t1_jaeb7m4 wrote

If you're okay with sailing the highest of seas, lookup Project Defiant. Someone went through the trouble of upscaling all the seasons using a combination of different methods.

chrisis123 t1_jaec3d2 wrote

It works on Netflix (in my country the old Star Trek series including DS9 are still available), likely also works on Paramount+ (or whatever it's called now...

It looks slightly better than the untreated video, but obviously not really HD, TNG (which was natively made available in HD) looks still far better (which is sad, because DS9 is definitely my favourite Star Trek)

TheFriendlyArtificer t1_jadix6z wrote

I want true HD. Upscaling "is a fake!!"

Edit: I think y'all are focusing too much on the setup and not enough on the hilarious Romulan Senator and his meme.

−7

onegumas t1_jadlovb wrote

Do you want a french fries and a cookie to your order, Sir? What can be done to an old videos? Even AI regeneration will be fake.

DavidBrooker t1_jadm8b0 wrote

The 35mm reels are in a salt mine somewhere just waiting... Waiting...

It's too bad they basically abandoned model work by the end of DS9. Makes the whole process a lot more expensive, for something that was already of dubious financial value.

Superjuden t1_jaduo6b wrote

All of the CGI stuff is saved as well, they can render it at 4K@240hz tomorrow if they felt like it. But scanning about a million feet of 35mm film and then editing in the CGI and cutting everything correctly is a process that'll take years. If they knew how poor the TNG sales would be they would have never done it and DS9 nowhere near as popular.

DavidBrooker t1_jadvgqn wrote

While the CGI may be saved, it would be distracting if they just re-rendered it and inserted it into otherwise remastered video. If you're going to go through the effort of remastering, you'd never accept that. The base assets are simply not at a comparable quality.

Superjuden t1_jadvrq8 wrote

They did the same with the CGI in TNG.

DavidBrooker t1_jadws4y wrote

Even if that were true (which I don't believe was the case), that actually gets to my original point: that TNG suffered less from this issue due to its greater use of physical models, whereas the bulk of later-season DS9 exterior shots were CG. TNG simply had a greater proportion of practical effects - shot on film - than CGI effects than DS9, and DS9 more than Voyager. For example, the only appearance of a CGI model for the Enterprise D (edit: on TV) was in DS9 - the model never appeared in TNG, and every exterior shot of the Enterprise in that series was a physical model. Meanwhile, in DS9, by the later seasons most of the Defiant's exterior shots were CGI (and those that weren't were mostly stock footage from prior seasons).

The TNG remaster made significant use of new CGI, or substantially updated CGI, where the base assets had to be updated. They were often not starting from scratch, but in no sense just re-rendering. Moreover, many assets were created brand new from scratch because the base assets were considered unacceptable (wide shots of planets, for example, are the most common, as well as some whole characters like the crystalline entity).

Sweet-Sale-7303 t1_jada6c7 wrote

only on the 30 series and higher.

Terryn_Deathward t1_jadxh81 wrote

Someone in the comments has info that it is coming later to 20 series.

NoPriorThreat t1_jadeqto wrote

technology is nothing new. You can built your own network and run it on different CPU/GPU to upscale youtube videos.

−31

Sweet-Sale-7303 t1_jadg33f wrote

So? These drivers only do it on the 30 series and higher. It is in the article that's linked.

LigerXT5 t1_jacudqs wrote

Last time I seen someone upscale a very low youtube video, was Linus and his fire truck review. Did not turn out so well. lol

There's only so many pixels to work off of at low res. The only way around it, is the AI substituting other graphical images to improve the quality on scene.

SidewaysFancyPrance t1_jadfj50 wrote

When you think about, the kind of AI we're talking about isn't designed to be accurate, it's designed to make your brain satisfied with what it sees. This is why I think AI is being introduced irresponsibly to average citizens: ChatGPT has disclaimers, but people don't care about accuracy either. It's like a brain hack, a Jedi mind trick to make people think the output is good because it uses what seem like the right words in the right order. It's a confidence man at its core.

As long as the person likes the upscaled photo it spits out, that's all the AI really wanted. It's not going to be a CSI enhancer.

tunnelmeoutplease t1_jae2kln wrote

> As long as the person likes the upscaled photo it spits out, that’s all the AI really wanted. It’s not going to be a CSI enhancer.

If it’s what I want it to be, why should I care, as the average Joe?

SidewaysFancyPrance t1_jae8gki wrote

For artistic purposes where there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do something, it's great. Like for upscaling a personal photo, but maybe not for a news broadcast showing an AI's prediction of what a crime suspect looks like based on a blurry security cam, where the AI is just pulling from random people's faces it trained on. There are pitfalls to people using/creating/consuming AI-generated data/content without attempting to understand the nuance and implications.

ScrawnyCheeath t1_jade2hf wrote

Look into DLSS if you have the time. Nvida’s gotten pretty good at upscaling and I wouldn’t be surprised if these have good results

hazpat t1_jadm39d wrote

11 months ago Linus upscaled his first video. Came out good

krisminime t1_jadso14 wrote

Anyone found any good example which showcase this?

B2Dirty t1_jadbm70 wrote

I have the new drivers and chrome, how do I know if it is working or not? I'm on a RTX 3080.

SativaPancake t1_jadn3a9 wrote

nvidia has a guide & FAQ here:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5448

​

>Q: Is there an indicator that RTX Video Super Resolution is operating?
>
>A: There is no indicator at this time, but is something we are considering.

​

>Q: What do I need before I enable RTX Video Super Resolution?
>
>A: You will need the following
>
>GeForce RTX 40 and 30 series GPUs
>
>The latest Chrome or Edge browser

​

>Q: How do I enable RTX Video Super Resolution?
>
>A: In your NVIDIA Control Panel, under “Adjust Video Image Settings”, enable “Super Resolution” and set a quality level from 1 (lowest) to 4 (highest)

​

>Q: What quality setting should I set?
>
>A: All RTX GPUs will support all scenarios at quality level 1. XX70 series and higher will support all scenarios at quality level 4. RTX Video Super Resolution does use GPU resources, so performance may be affected if playing a GPU intensive game or creative app in parallel.

TipT0pMag00 t1_jaemtlq wrote

Has anyone played a local video in chrome w/ this feature enabled?

I'm curious how well it would work.