Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BonerKingJr t1_jaagu36 wrote

They say no witness protection data was impacted, which means if I'm in witness protection I'm RUNNING!

Shawnk27_Blast t1_jabep2s wrote

Bwahahaha! I was just thinking, finally! We're going to find out where Jimmy Hoffa is.

finecherrypie t1_jabbro3 wrote

They are going to paint themselves the victims here but IMO this should be viewed like any other major corporate data breach; which is a failure of their own security. If citizen data was stolen they should be held liable especially if it was unencrypted.

I'm not sure why Ransomware is even mentioned in the article besides to drum up additional sympathy and make it seem more menacing. It's not been a 'thing' since like 2018 for any serious organization who takes basic security precautions w\ endpoint software and backups.

phdoofus t1_jabom9f wrote

This is a failure by Congress mostly to not fund and prioritize IT security. The US nuke labs get their computers hammered all of the time by outside actors but you never hear about breaches there. OPM, not so much. Why? Someone at OPM probably asked about IT security at one point and Congress basically said 'Nah, there ain't no money for that and what do you need it for anyway?'. Source: have worked for nuke labs.

TitoMPG t1_jacal1t wrote

Mind if I asked why yall aren't airgapped?

phdoofus t1_jacpc58 wrote

The real systems that have the shit that you don't want anyone to touch ever, are. There are even measures beyond that to ensure security. However, depending on the lab, they also have a number of programs that need to interact either with researchers not 'behind the fence' or with other branches of the .gov or even with the public. Those get hammered all the time.

aquarain t1_jaailhn wrote

Moving day again. Sigh.

tubetalkerx t1_jab5ngs wrote

Where’s John Kruger when you need him???

Vulkan192 t1_jadc6g2 wrote

Well we all know Raylan Givens won’t be of much help here.

thewdfthr t1_jabnis4 wrote

The Payday Gang strikes again...

autotldr t1_jadirwq wrote

This is the best tl;dr I could make, original reduced by 52%. (I'm a bot)

> The U.S. Marshals Service suffered a security breach over a week ago that resulted in the compromise of sensitive information, multiple senior U.S. law enforcement officials said Monday.

> In a statement Monday, U.S. Marshals Service spokesperson Drew Wade acknowledged the breach, telling NBC News: "The affected system contains law enforcement sensitive information, including returns from legal process, administrative information, and personally identifiable information pertaining to subjects of USMS investigations, third parties, and certain USMS employees."

> The official said, the incident is significant, affecting law enforcement sensitive information pertaining to the subjects of Marshals Service investigations.

Extended Summary | FAQ | Feedback | Top keywords: official^#1 information^#2 Service^#3 breach^#4 incident^#5

zekex944resurrection t1_jadow94 wrote

The mob is probably hyped to finally be able to tie up all those loose ends :)

Putrid-Peanut6982 t1_jabpqt9 wrote

Hopefully whoever was in charge of those systems didn't have tiktok on their government issued phones.