Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thegreatgazoo t1_j7lc60l wrote

There's not much you can do about the damage from ice storms. Even if you bury the lines, if a tree falls over near the line it can pull up and break the lines. When they are underground, they are even harder to repair.

What do you propose that they do differently?

Chief_Beef_ATL t1_j7m5xen wrote

Not my job but maybe have a chat with Minnesota or Wisconsin. Any place that doesn't lose all power in the winter, like what seems to happen in TX again and again. Maybe better maintain what they currently have - trim trees near the lines etc. I'm pretty sure they have people they pay to solve these issues. But like I said, it's up to them to focus on this issue rather than making sure guns have more rights than women and ensuring everyone is safe from the menace that is anything non-christian and straight. Making improvements in their power grid isn't what I hear from TX leaders these days... except when the power is out.

thegreatgazoo t1_j7nzs5o wrote

In places with a lot of snow, the trees get knocked down before they get bad. They also tend to get snow versus ice, which is a completely different ballgame with trees. The snow tends to fall off trees with the wind. Not so with ice.

Chief_Beef_ATL t1_j7p4en6 wrote

I'm in ATL. All we get is ice. Trim trees near power lines. Sometimes trees or limbs fall on lines and you have repairs. I thought TX also had overloads aka we haven't built enough new infrastructure to handle our expanding needs. This isnt an unsolvable riddle. They ignored the problem.