Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

beef-o-lipso t1_j7kvc03 wrote

Was this writen by an AI (or American) trying to sound British? Way too many "boffins" to be natural, I think.

APeacefulWarrior t1_j7o2car wrote

No, that's just The Register being The Register. They have a long long history of overly cheeky writing.

fastheadcrab t1_j7n7h4l wrote

> Starting out in London in 1994 as an occasional email newsletter, The Register began publishing online daily in 1998.

https://www.theregister.com/2014/06/11/damn_you_iel_regi_call_me_a_boffin_demands_enraged_boffin/

I hope your comment was sarcastic, otherwise you have no idea what you're talking about and are just spewing nonsense.

Also boffin was used 3 times lol

beef-o-lipso t1_j7n8e2v wrote

For the love of all that is good in the world, unclinch your sphincter.

−7

Miguelboii t1_j7llm00 wrote

OnePlus phones haven’t been cheap anymore since more than a few years now

mastycus t1_j7nj40g wrote

I love oneplus, the only brand I would buy in US.

−4

DinobotsGacha t1_j7kw2go wrote

"Dont buy a phone in China..."

Ok.

mastycus t1_j7niigg wrote

I will keep buying Chinese models and I dont care. Us gov can hurt me way more then chinese and then both collect my data.

CN2498T t1_j7oa3k5 wrote

Agree. If you are not from China and have no ties, buying a Chinese phone is the lesser evil than buying a US phone.

HeKis4 t1_j7pq6jk wrote

I mean... Chinese phone or not you're still using Android (and probably a bit of firmware too) that is made in the US.

DinobotsGacha t1_j7nj2vs wrote

So you are buying phones direct from Chinese vendors and you dont live in China...

Why not buy phones from another country (not China or US) then?

You do you

mastycus t1_j7njunt wrote

What other country is there? I dont really want Korean

[deleted] t1_j7njzgg wrote

[deleted]

mastycus t1_j7nmdfm wrote

Article is a pathetic paid propaganda hit piece.

Google switched maps and gmail domains to be subdomains of google.com, so whenever you use maps u give google.com your full location permissions - but noone bats an eye or even "concerned".

Sorry - I'm way way more concerned about us gov spying on me then Chinese - they can't reach me to f me over.

wsf t1_j7lc23t wrote

Must admit that "holiday in China" wasn't at the top of my list.

nicuramar t1_j7li0ww wrote

For me it’s… we’ll certainly not too, but much higher. I’m not American, so my perspective may be different… I don’t care for their government, of course, but I also don’t plan on visiting them.

SuperSecretAgentMan t1_j7lkka3 wrote

China has really amazing geography. It's just a shame that you have a slightly higher chance of being disappeared there than most other asian tourist destinations.

nicuramar t1_j7lkpvy wrote

For the average tourist, I wouldn’t think the chance would be worth mentioning?

9-11GaveMe5G t1_j7m8hdj wrote

Probably not. But I'd say the risk of becoming a political pawn is more likely

nicuramar t1_j7mgvpz wrote

Yeah, more so when you’re from some countries.

[deleted] t1_j7l8f35 wrote

[deleted]

Subrisum t1_j7ljrta wrote

“I feel like part of what I’m paid for is my loyalty. But if there’s someplace that values loyalty more, I’ll go wherever they value loyalty the highest.”

Stabile_Feldmaus t1_j7n35ws wrote

I hope you are able to realize that there is a huge difference between Western and Chinese intelligence agencies or rather the countries they work for. So China or the NSA gathering information about private citizens is not the same.

−3

TSnowCrash t1_j7llvoz wrote

Yeah buy an iphone instead, they only collect 90% of the data. Or a Samsung that collects 89%.

South_Job9704 t1_j7m6su0 wrote

iPhones are actually pretty decent to protect your own data. They offer a lot of encryption through the settings and they give you constant notifications about apps that are tracking you. Plus they have good security too. I remember when cops in the US had expensive cracking technology to access people’s phones when they were detained, and Apple made the phone’s storage totally inaccessible to combat that specific method of entry. I’m not a big phone nerd but I think they’re better than most competitors when it comes to protecting your own data.

In China, Apple does give the CPC access to their iCloud data, which sucks. Though that’s more evidence that we shouldn’t be traveling so often to China.

−14

Adventurous-Bed8851 t1_j7m7dnt wrote

You haven't been to wikileaks i guess

South_Job9704 t1_j7m92pg wrote

I agree it’s not perfect, but Apple and the other phone companies have been fixing those exploits since they’ve known about them. It’s not the same as the CPC government-mandated malware that exists on top of the typical data gathering that every phone company does worldwide. These are all soul-less corporations and nation-states in the end, but the US’s brand of liberalism means the CIA has to go through shady methods to hack these phones, unlike the CPC which just plants a member of the party into the board of directors and straight up threatens them to install spyware.

−1

manwithafrotto t1_j7n0mv4 wrote

This is Reddit, you aren’t allowed to like iPhones or Apple in general lol

−4

mastycus t1_j7nirvh wrote

I phones? The walled garden platform that won't let you have firefox or alternative app store?

South_Job9704 t1_j7n67cc wrote

Which is so weird because Google (who own Android OS) is orders of magnitude worse when it comes to gathering data. I think they even beat Facebook when it comes to selling it. Apple by comparison makes most of its money from the products and services it sells, not data.

−4

willsher7 t1_j7lw8jx wrote

I phones are made in China. Motorola is a Chinese phone company.

rpo6ap t1_j7lxmq8 wrote

get a midrange redmi phone. unlock bootloader. flash lineageos.

Valvador t1_j7nar81 wrote

During the "3G" launch in the US, my parents used a non-internet plan on their phone. They stayed on the system grandfathered for a looong time.

Bought a cheap Chinese Android phone some time later, found out they had a 4000$ phone bill because for some reason the phone was sending some data somewhere to China.

Ended up reporting it to FBI, but I doubt anything came of it.

LadyMoonsong t1_j7oe4bo wrote

I have a Poco F3. I figure China already has all of my information and half of my nudes, so I'm just going to enjoy my snappy phone 🤷🏻‍♀️

mookiebomber t1_j7m6pib wrote

I wouldn't buy anything other than Xiaomi for now. I've owned; HTC (HTC Sensation, HTC One M8 and HTC U20) OnePlus (OnePlus 4, OnePlus 7) Apple (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4) Samsung (Galaxy 5) Blackberry (Passport and Priv). All of my phones were great at the time, but also they're getting more and more expensive every year, the technology has unreservedly stagnated, and only Xiaomi offers a decent price with great specs. That's why I bought the Poco X4 GT and I haven't regretted it at all. At only $300 I get the same performance from a $1,200 phone, the same design and looks, and if the price to pay is give my info to some the PRC, then so be it, as long as I get phones for $300 with 67w, this chipset, this camera and design, I will always go for that.

nova9001 t1_j7o1ng2 wrote

Fellow Poco user here. And yes. Phone that does what I need at 1/4 the price of an Iphone. I want an Iphone but the price difference is too big.

Cybiu5 t1_j7oxa7k wrote

Xiaomi goes hard

Bought a vacuum from them, extremely cheap and 0 complaints so far after years

Gonna be buying an exercise bike from them next likely

daemon86 t1_j7p1l6f wrote

way more than what, Google phones? I highly doubt it

mordecaidrake t1_j7pfcfd wrote

Between Chinese phone and just Google services, it amazes me that anyone uses android anymore, especially if they care about any sort of data privacy.

[deleted] t1_j7pvlq1 wrote

[deleted]

mordecaidrake t1_j7pw29o wrote

There are countless articles talking about how much more google harvests versus apple. But I’m the sheep ok haha.

everyothernamegone t1_j7ppibs wrote

Since pretty much the only people buying phones in China are Chinese and they all know their government is spying on them, this isn’t much of a story.

neutrilreddit t1_j7mqpma wrote

Only Chinese buy these phones right? Not like they have many options. Sucks though.

−6

amberdesu t1_j7ncrqe wrote

They're very popular in asia, especially in SEA due to how cheap they can be compared to samsung or apple.

mastycus t1_j7niyis wrote

I would buy them at a drop of a hat, unfortunately they are too scared to come to US market especially after what was done to Huawei.