Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Petaris t1_j8oxtum wrote

This varies based on country though. Just so that people keep it in mind that the rules are different depending on where you are.

For example, in Japan you cannot take a picture, or video, of someone without their explicit permission.

hawkwings t1_j8pxpym wrote

>in Japan you cannot take a picture, or video, of someone without their explicit permission.

That would interfere with vacation pictures. You would have to make sure that no one was in the way when you took a picture of a temple or beach.

Petaris t1_j8q1bju wrote

Privacy is a big deal in Japan.

The laws are not quite as straight forward as what I mentioned but its the safe way to conduct yourself when taking pictures there. There are of course exceptions and qualifications for what is and is not allowed and some of it is based around how the image may be used.

If you don't believe me you can go look it up for yourself. There is a lot of info out there about it.

That being said, I doubt that a random passerby is going to make a fuss if they end up in your vacation photo by accident.

If however you are taking vacation photos of them specifically, like Geisha on a picturesque street in Kyoto for example, you very likely will be in trouble and have the police called on you.

railgunsix t1_j8r4ngr wrote

I have Japan exported iPhone. You can't disable camera shutter sound. I also have Korea exported Samsung although they allow it to be on mute.