Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kaptainkeel t1_ja1iqjj wrote

A lot of people are scared about the repercussions, but personally I'm incredibly excited. Yeah, there are going to be bad actors that use it maliciously. There's no way to stop that; even if it takes a large company to run a large model that can restrict biases and such right now, a few years from now anyone will be able to do it on their own PC in 2 seconds.

But the beneficial uses? Lordy. Even skipping over the basic stuff like photoreal pictures/videos, once we can combine all of them is going to be amazing. Imagine an RPG game where all of the dialogue, quests, etc. are crafted procedurally. "Completing" the game won't happen in a week at that point since you could have literally thousands of different quests with procedurally generated dialogue, storylines, and NPCs. You may not even be able to "complete" it at all.

On the extreme end, I see an entire world (see: MMORPG) being created by AI before being fleshed out/detailed by humans with a few hand-crafted elements for details the devs specifically want. Characters/art being generated by AI. Dialogue/writing elements being generated by language models. Entire libraries of AI-generated books based on the in-game world's history. Or even skip those last few things and just give a baseline world and let it run for 1,000 years in-game time to see what comes up, i.e. let the world detail itself. Bards at the local town tavern playing AI-generated music. The biggest thing stopping this from happening right now, I think, is finding a way to make all of these work together in a coherent way. Toss in an AI that knows how to code/optimize stuff and it's even better.

deaddonkey t1_ja1jii8 wrote

Yeah AIs gonna be a very fun distraction while society disintegrates. Genuinely. Internet’s been endlessly fun too.

I’ve been laughing my ass off at these deepfake+AI impersonations of politicians and streamers arguing with each other these last few weeks

[deleted] t1_ja1nz2k wrote

Just plug Dwarf Fortress into the AI and wait for the end times.

jdm1891 t1_ja577xe wrote

I'm just patiently waiting for when AI can make (good) new star trek TNG/VOY/DS9 episodes, like the fun goofy alien of the week ones, convincingly - then I'm going to retreat into the woods with a few solar panels and sit and watch infinite AI shows while society collapses. Oh, yeah, and there will be ai generated blackjack and hookers too.

Objective_Fox_6321 t1_ja1jxpu wrote

I mean, I write over 60k words a week on an average using GPT/You.com already. A dedicated staff of people could fill entire Wikipedia pages with curated content for a game in no time at all.

If you're familiar with W++ and basic storyboarding you can easily create dozens of unique characters each day too. I personally use python lists and I have a prompt that acts as two “players” then I give GPT a rough idea of the scene and see where things go.

You can create dynamic personalities, and writing styles for each character as well as add additional lore by creating new items in the python list.

Although, my fear is censorship in the west. It seems like that's the current play most of these companies want to take. So I'm hoping China grows a pair and offers unrestricted Ai via Tencent. I'd gladly give them my logs/prompts in exchange for unbridled power.

−9

frogandbanjo t1_ja1lq4x wrote

You're hoping that China decides to not censor things.

Okay.

kaptainkeel t1_ja1l5e3 wrote

You could create dozens of unique characters per day, but ultimately they're going to be linear. They won't react in-the-moment based on your/other NPC's decisions. A future version of GPT could allow for real-time decision-making by the NPCs. Those items and such? All generated on the fly.