Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

who_you_are t1_j8o9hgf wrote

I wonder if this is either because farming companies have less defense to protect themselves or if farms aren't going well (expensive to start, not lot of peoples continuing in that field) so if they could cut off experience.

Maybe farmers are also angry and make it know to high political peoples.

Maybe those political peoples don't see the issue for the general public since you can usually easily buy a new goods right now while on the farming industry... They have a monopole and seems to be slow in anyway.

radiocate t1_j8obia2 wrote

It's greed. Some fucking bean counter at the top had the bright idea to change a purchase of equipment into purchasing a license to use that equipment, and when people kept buying anyway thought they'd stumbled on a goldmine.

Has nothing to do with liability or protecting an industry, it was entirely born of greed.

who_you_are t1_j8ofauk wrote

I'm watching Louis Rossmann so I know their greed. But even us, we can see it with stuff targeted for us.

I already hate marketing because they lie on everything. Show me the specs, then the specs (if possible) in my common situation (it change, eg. Battery over temperature). Then, if you want put common use, then your bullshit generic marketing.

I also do electronics (not a lot though, and as personal). What they call "datasheet" (read it specifications) is gold by modern standard. You want to know the output at 10, 30, 60 degree? 3.3v, 5v, 50v? Here, take this! Usually the first section describes the product with general usages. Then the features.

All that in a short way. Except the first paragraph that somewhat look like generic marketing blabla, the other part are straight to the point.

All companies want to get all your money. If they could, they would just get it straight from your pay check without providing anything.

The way to go around is with subscription (free money on a regular base) and closed part (so you need to buy exclusive from them so they can get all the money).

Also, and it is a damn big issue, "we can barely do anything". Do you have the money and knowledge to start your own farming equipment manufacturer? To produce cellphones? Cars?... I would like, but I can't. I won't even be able to do 1/90 of that.

If I could, I would almost sell it for the price to build. Make sure management don't eat all the money for no reason (like their wage). trying to block wage increase if the bottom get any, reduce stupid layout to be always on the low hierarchy one (you know, the one actually making money to the company?)

Unfortunately, life suck and all that is impossible.

TheRealStorey t1_j8rfk04 wrote

The US government subsidizes farming directly, providing subsidized food and leading to industrial farming and massive lobbying.They now have lobbyists saying you could subsidize us less if we could repair our own equipment which appears as a win-win. The government (in theory) would subsidize them less, keeping them profitable and they've satiated the lobbyists keeping them happy. Appearance and actuality are all that matters with these bills, long as it appears to be helping Joe Everyman (or farmers) and kick backs their donors everyone's happy.I'm not saying it's bad, but this is the only reason farmers are being considered and the very least it can do is open the door to expand this legislation, but it'll come down to corporate vs. private interests and I don't see it going any further.