Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nopower81 t1_jdliu1b wrote

Elon is laughing all the way to the bank, who needs cables when you have satellites

−16

kariam_24 t1_jdm5x5o wrote

You have no idea how Telcos and Starlink are connecting.

nopower81 t1_jdm8mfo wrote

So tell me how, as I thought it was through microwave up and down links, and RF links

−13

Independent_Buy5152 t1_jdm92u4 wrote

Traffic from the satellites need to be relayed by gateways so that it can be routed towards the Internet. Basically Starlink users still need the current internet backbone in order to browse reddit

nopower81 t1_jdmbr0g wrote

That's what I said, soon all trafic will be transmitted wirelessly across the entire earth, the only problem with that is the amount of RF energy being beamed everywhere, google "antennas near me" or "microwave transmitters near me"

−18

bigjojo321 t1_jdmhs71 wrote

No it really won't, and no one is proposing this.

A Hard-lined network is going to remain faster, cheaper, and more practical for decades.

kariam_24 t1_jdr4p09 wrote

Just like you ignored in other replies, internet is basicly all fiber, what you are mentioning are just access network that connect you to your provider.

Starlink which have fiber network (look at ground stations instead of being ingorant), even without ground stations they would have to connect to other providers.

jmarmorato1 t1_jdnodwc wrote

You don't know anything about networking or physics. The amount of data you can send down a single optical fiber is orders of magnitude greater than what you can send over a satellite link, and has less latency than a satellite link. As our bandwidth requirements continuously increase, our demand for fiber grows. The only thing satellite internet is replacing is shitty last-mile DSL and other copper infrastructure. All of the central-office equipment needs fiber because of its bandwidth capabilities.