Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Educational-Ice-319 t1_jduwn7u wrote

No I don’t. You seem to be deliberately ignoring the fact that privacy regulations can either deter or punish, or both. And just because some firms fuck up doesn’t mean the regulations aren’t effective. Even in the EU they don’t achieve 100% compliance all the time.

HanaBothWays t1_jdux4yz wrote

> Even in the EU they don’t achieve 100% compliance all the time.

I mentioned that earlier.

Educational-Ice-319 t1_jdv0obd wrote

No you didn’t. You don’t understand what Google Analytics is if you think that Google is the one slapped with a violation lol.

HanaBothWays t1_jdv2wcx wrote

Yes they are. Who do you think Google Analytics belongs to? It’s not like it’s a different company that happens to have a similar name.

And they keep having problems because users in EU countries where Google Analytics is banned keep finding the Google Analytics script running in their browsers anyway because Google is not err on the side of caution when it comes to what browser clients Google Analytics does and doesn’t run on.

Educational-Ice-319 t1_jdv3cey wrote

Sigh. Let me explain:

Google Analytics is a service. A company based in the EU pays to run it on their platform. The one who gets fined isn’t Google, but the company who uses it in violation of the ban

HanaBothWays t1_jdv3p06 wrote

Service providers are also supposed to make sure that their services are running with configurations appropriate to geographical/jurisdictional restrictions as dictated by statutes (or not running, as appropriate).

Educational-Ice-319 t1_jdv3zrh wrote

Except that’s not what the fine is for. The fine is for using a banned service.

EDIT: Additionally, it is not Google’s job to make sure another Company is compliant.