Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SlowMotionPanic t1_jd0u2ps wrote

r/technology is really more for people who dislike or distrust or don’t understand technology. It never ceases to amaze me how many people who don’t work in Tech hang out here and insist things which are quite plainly wrong.

GPT is a novelty for me, just like copilot. I throughly believe that the people professing it’s usefulness in the workplace—including but not limited to dev work—are generally lower level. Chat GPT went down today and a ton of people remarked how they can’t do their jobs now. It’s right up there with the meme about the same every time StackOverflow goes down.

That’s one big thing I professionally fear from AI models or whatever we are going to call them. The cutting of corners including in code literacy. It’s my old man yells at cloud moment. People dabbling in coding and development when they are more like analysts than anything else (no shade to analysts, but it is an entirely different skillset and focus).

The people who rely and extensively use things like GPT and copilot will be the first made redundant when good old Sam Altman realizes his stated dream of having AI “employees” out compete and replace hourly or salaried humans.

I truly fear that a good chunk of people are fucking themselves right now. Especially junior level people. This is the time they should be learning and instead they turn to spyware which has an end goal, per Sam himself in an interview, to replace them.