Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lord_pizzabird t1_iu1xplm wrote

I was almost a Pixel owner and the sub / reviews scared me off. Few weeks ago I saw a cool looking Pixel phone, liked some of what I saw, anddd.... then read all the constantly bad opinions from owners and users. Oof.

o_opc t1_iu22f13 wrote

The pixel sub is super negative, mainly because people who are happy with their phone don't post about it. I've had 2 pixel phones now and they've been pretty much flawless for me

b0w3n t1_iu2teex wrote

Same I've never had a problem. What's up with the pixels that's making everyone hate them?

Derik_D t1_iu3f1a5 wrote

Nothing. Mostly vocal minorities and fandoms. People happy about their products aren't as noticible.

throwaway836282672 t1_iu52xvc wrote

For me, it's the customer experience. The phones themselves are great, but the experience behind them is lacking.

1. I had a Pixel 3a XL that had OLED burn-in from the factory, and it was an absolute pain to get handled from Google (whom I bought directly from - but my Google account was still affiliated in Canada, despite living and working in California at the time... nightmare support) and....

2. then the replacement Pixel 3a XL was a refurbished one (despite me buying brand new), and the digitizer died after 90 days. The screen replacement from Google wasn't covered because they claimed a micro-crack in the display killing the digitizer... for their refurbished phone. However, I had a positive experience with that phone, until it died from flooding during a natural disaster (not Google's fault).

3. So I bought a refurbished Pixel 4a to replace it. The screen had the micro-cracks in the display that killed my last phone's digitizer so I (tried) to return it. It was a hassle to handle that again, because of Google's authorized retailer Best Buy. Compounded with the emergency... Eventually I gave up dealing with Google's headache, and accepted this until the phone screen cracked. The quoted repair price exceeded the cost of a new Pixel 5a...

4. So I bought a new 5a with the old 4a as a health monitor of intranet utilities with the cellular service to alert engineers of downtime. The 5a is great, until Android 13 came out... Now so many crashes of Spotify and I get warnings that my phone is "too hot" so features have been disabled.

Google can do great. I think they're working on it. But I'm done. I just want my phone to work - no more troubleshooting, no more dealing with support... I'm staying with my (used) S21 Ultra. No more Google.

−1

AREssshhhk t1_iu5yol7 wrote

Sounds like you need an iPhone

No-Nefariousness681 t1_iu65y5a wrote

Why would he want to use a phone that can't even install apps outside the appstore without jailbreaking it or other workarounds.

AREssshhhk t1_iu68mfw wrote

My iPhone has an app for everything. There’s multiple apps for everything. I do calls, texts, internet, gps, Bluetooth, banking, email, delivery, work, pictures, videos, voice recording, flawlessly on my iPhone with the best security. And the phone is supported for 7 years at least

No-Nefariousness681 t1_iu6n6tv wrote

And if you ever need to do anything outside of what apple considers acceptable you won't be able to. Remember when they banned parler? Will they ban Twitter next? Who knows.

AREssshhhk t1_iu6nybk wrote

There is literally nothing I need to do on a phone that Apple will ban

No-Nefariousness681 t1_iu6x5ju wrote

For now. Maybe one day meat will be banned and apple devices will block access to all ip addresses of underground meat sellers.

AREssshhhk t1_iu6yb79 wrote

Yah if that happens, I’m goin team pixel the next day

cunningmunki t1_iu3k7gu wrote

I've had a Nexus 4, Nexus 5X, Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel 4a and Pixel 6 and they've all been great phones.

throwaway836282672 t1_iu53pdz wrote

I had great experiences with the hardware, but Google's support team is my issue. Have you dealt with the support team?

Cynical_Chameleon t1_iu4sd4o wrote

Yeah, I got the budget 3a and it was great until I just upgraded to the 7. I would've gotten the 6 but they released the 7 right before I could for the same price, so why not?

So far no issues, hopefully it stays that way. But yeah, Pixel has been great for me thus far, same as the friend who got the first one and recommended it.

Hyperion1144 OP t1_iu1zecr wrote

My Pixel 7 Pro is working great so far.

Stratocast7 t1_iu20kcm wrote

Same here, I've owned several and have been happy with them

DriftwoodBadger t1_iu21dn3 wrote

Same. Finally gave up my Essential PH-1 for a new Pixel 7 Pro. The camera lured me in...and not disappointed so far.

Hyperion1144 OP t1_iu26eyq wrote

I have found the night sight feature very impressive.

I've never owned a real flagship before.

RealNewUser t1_iu2312g wrote

Pixel is always the best Android phone.

USS_Hornet t1_iu33vze wrote

That’s true but one must understand how you qualified it. Not best phone, best android phone. There’s your problem.

−6

Jammintoad t1_iu23a2z wrote

Pixel 2 XL was my favorite phone ever, and it lasted me 5 years only reason I stopped was the battery was getting old. I have pixel 6 pro now only complaint is battery life (besides normal android hiccups any android phone would have). To be clear the battery on the 2 was good, just normal degradation. My 6 pro battery would probably do better if I turned the high refresh rate off

loobricated t1_iu24tyg wrote

Have a pixel and its awesome.

lord_pizzabird t1_iu2lhw3 wrote

I have no doubts that yours is awesome, but what concerns me is that nearly every time I've ran across a Pixel user organically their experience have been very negative.

−1

MetaMortis t1_iu2m687 wrote

Yeah, I've had three pixel phones so far and never had an issue. I'd highly recommend them but I always forget to write reviews.

Zyansheep t1_iu23km1 wrote

Pixel is the most secure and privacy respecting phone in the world (assuming you install GrapheneOS on it)

Tachyoff t1_iu2pud2 wrote

My pixel 2 treated me well for years, switched to a pixel 6 a while ago and have had no issues with it.

AlludedNuance t1_iu33quc wrote

It's not that bad there, it's just the worst right when something new comes out. I have zero complaints about my new Pixel products(not advertising for them so that's all I'm getting into.)