Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dubiousadvocate t1_iuaadt4 wrote

>"They laughed at the Wright brothers, but they also laughed at Bozo the clown."

Yeah. That was kind of, no actually was, Bozo's business model. And they made millions. That's a strange take.

That said I appreciate the knowledge you brought to this thread even as it is a peculiar mix of optimism and pessimism.

aecarol1 t1_iuabsze wrote

My comment was simply to show that one technology being derided and then becoming a spectacular success (aviation), isn't applicable to another unrelated technology being derided. The critics being wrong on one, doesn't mean they are wrong on an another.

I am hopeful for this, but I think this technology has more in common with battery advancements than aviation. On so many technology subjects, we see press releases masquerading as news talking about incredible breakthroughs which reporters extrapolate to societal changing implications. Sometimes they are right (cell phones), mostly they are wrong (Segway)

I enjoyed debating the merits with you also! I hope this pans out, we certainly need as much power as we can obtain and the sun is a great source.