Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WexfordHo t1_iuaetdv wrote

One of history’s great own-goals, and now even if they wanted back in the EU, I can’t imagine it would be easy.

spainguy OP t1_iuaia01 wrote

I had a silly dream, where the EU wanted to join Brexit, just to annoy the UK

9-11GaveMe5G t1_iub1vt7 wrote

>One of history’s great own-goals, and now even if they wanted back in the EU, I can’t imagine it would be easy.

My bet is after awhile they get sick of it and rejoin (or at least try to) once the current leadership in the UK is ousted. It was always just a plan to crash the English economy and allow the wealthy buy up more real estate at bargain prices from those forced to sell. That's mostly done now so the wealthy Brexit backers don't much care what happens. Just gonna take a bit of time for all the suckers that got duped into voting for it to get over thier shame and support rejoining (or they don't come around and just die off, either way)

ttux t1_iucepy8 wrote

I think your theory about the wealthy is a bit far fetched. The wealthy that has a business has lost/is losing a lot and still some of those voted for Brexit. It is more about ideology than common sense. One of the main reason is that people can't stand the fact some rules decided by non English people apply to them. A mistake from the EU commission is to meddle in too many things that infringe on the culture of a particular country. This problem of "ideology" vs fact or common sense is becoming quite tiresome as it applies to so many things these days. For example in the energy sector which is now costing us greatly...

9-11GaveMe5G t1_iucfemu wrote

You miss my point. The average person tired of EU rules didn't bankroll millions in "pro-brexit" ad campaigns- someone with millions to spend (and many more to make) did.

twistedLucidity t1_iuciy0q wrote

The UK might get back in, but we would not get anything like the deal we had last time.

The Tories absolutely screwed the nation..just look at the recent market chaos thanks to Truss and Kwarteng. These idiots are so far right-wing they are actually wrong-wing!

Kajocfc t1_iucfi6m wrote

Can you imagine they’re still trying to sell off as a win? Watched some political debate and Tory MP after being challenge that trade went down massively and UK losing billions because of it every year, he said Brexit couldn’t stretch its legs because of Covid…

Xezshibole t1_iudyq06 wrote

Probably not full EU membership within the decade, and certainly not with all (or any) of the old exceptions the UK had as an old member.

But there is a decent chance that Single Market (SM) and Customs Union (CU) membership may be fast tracked, as in a couple of years, if that.

The SM and CU are the economic engines of the EU, which is what most suffering Brexit are moaning about.

To get in (it's prerequisite to full EU membership anyways:)

1. UK by extension Parliament must be restricted to at minimum have legislation that complies with all present and future Single Market rules. Must be aligned with SM to be an SM member after all. Not that big a deal as Tories haven't yet diverged too heavily from regs......although that "bonfire" is currently being debated in Westminster.

2. To join the CU, UK must forfeit all independent trade policy. CU works by aligning so all members provide a unified set of tariffs to nonmembers, allowing custom free trade between members. Not really a problem to forfeit either given UK's anemic if not outright damaging (to UK, awesome for say, Australia) post Brexit trade deals.

3. Resubmit to the European Court of Justice, which oversees disputes within the Single Market.

4. Bear in mind SM and CU is not full EU membership, which is where EU Council and Parliament are in. Meaning UK will not have any votes or formal decisionmaking on what SM or CU policy is.

After all these conditions are met, I would imagine EU accepts quite quickly as

1. They get a reopening of a large market compliant with its rules

2. No meddling UK politicians in EU legislative process, particularly important with the likes of Farage or other Brexiteers getting voted in again.

3. Resolves the Northern Ireland Protocol, as now both sides have formally aligned, meaning no need for checks again, and therefore no need for border infrastructure to conduct said checks at either Ireland (imperils GFA) or the Protocol's Irish Sea (gets DUP Unionists all ornery.)