Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Raynosaurus t1_iu08j37 wrote

Once you get past the excessively large smiling man picture, it's actually an interesting article that digs into the major challenges people that work these warehouse jobs deal with. Key here is that it would be beneficial for the change of pace and scenery for a short while, but it's a brutal work life if it's all you do.

I personally have a desk job and love doing the occasional 'mindless' inventory work because it gives me a chance to clear my head, however if that was my job day in day out I would go insane probably!

Bobbing4horseradish t1_iu09qpy wrote

It’s interesting…

My desk job drives me insane so I go and do mindless inventory work.. but if I was doing that all day I would go insane.

Most jobs drive us crazy

bigfatmatt01 t1_iu0arbm wrote

Almost as if we didn't evolve to do the same task over and over again repeatedly.

AnalystOfData t1_iu0bx2s wrote

Maybe it’s time to evolve

son_et_lumiere t1_iu0egik wrote

Yeah, no. That's how you get left behind. They end up making machines for repetitive tasks.

Bobbing4horseradish t1_iu0nbj5 wrote

Almost all jobs are repetitive tasks. Some have more steps, more time between having to do the task again and even involve other people.

Ordinary-Relation t1_iu0fm4a wrote

My wife and I work a desk job, but during the fall me and her work at a pumpkin patch on the weekends driving tractors for hayrides and then other random tasks around there. We love doing it as it is such a change of pace from our day jobs and it gets us outside for extended periods.

Bobbing4horseradish t1_iu0n480 wrote

Yeah, sounds great and not knocking it.. just raising how one quickly becomes the other of it is all you have to do.

HazardPayChecker t1_iu0au5i wrote

Wouldn't the more logical reality be that people at a desk job just need more exercise and that's why they fall into such a burnout. It's not so much the burnout, but the lack of any physically activity that leaves them feeling fatigued.

Beavesampsonite t1_iu0fuhi wrote

I believe you are mostly right but 8+ hours work, 1 hr lunch, plus commute and life commitments make it impossible for some people. Spent way too much of my life doing that. I feel like a 6 hour workday and 4 shifts would be so much better.

lounge_l1zard t1_iu0hmmu wrote

It's one of the most vicious things about depression actually. You feel depressed/burnt out so you move less, moving less makes you feel more depressed, so you move less.

Exercise is one of the best things to combat the low feelings, but combatting the low feelings can feel physically impossible.

Jobs should have built in exercise schedules. You won't get your bonus if you don't get a 15 minute walk in every 3-4 hours! It would honestly do a ton for productivity and overall happiness. And yet we all sit here scratching our heads as if there is no answer to what causes depression and burnout.

Bl00dAngel22 t1_iu0j2mk wrote

Big cooperations don’t give a shit if their wage slaves get burnout and depressed. They’re to busy figuring out ways to offer less benefits and less pay for more work.

lounge_l1zard t1_iu0omvm wrote

Fully agree... It just so happens that preventing burnout would be a money-saver long-term. But we all know those fucks can't see past the closest quarterly earnings.

ILikeVoltron t1_iu1qr7k wrote

I'd encourage you to join a union and make that argument to your union rep

shuzgibs123 t1_iu0duht wrote

I think you may be on to something. Any time I’m sedentary for a long time I start to feel sluggish.

IvanIsOnReddit t1_iu0k1eh wrote

True story. Cycling got me out of that feeling. It’s exercise plus views.

BitterLeif t1_iu0aqsz wrote

I did data entry for a couple years before advancing to a position where I oversee data entry for a couple more, and at the end of that I felt like a zombie. I remember seriously thinking that I may as well already be dead.

kograkthestrong t1_iu0dgeo wrote

Was a mechanic in the military for 11 years. Been a lifelong mechanic honestly. I've grown up and supported my family by working with my hands and using my body.

I've been doing data entry for 7 months. I hate it.

Icy_Store_8776 t1_iu0fvjo wrote

I was a mechanic in the military as well....Desk job now too. Frankly i miss being with the homies working all day and night. But then I remember that sucking....But at least it sucked together. There's no comradery in office work.

kograkthestrong t1_iu1yo0t wrote

For some reason I was really missing the smoke pit the other day lol. I don't even smoke anymore

donethecockrowch t1_iu09qru wrote

I do automotive design and when we’re slow I’ll do random work in the shop like deburring parts. It’s great for a month or two but then I want to go back to my computer.

moss-n-choss t1_iu0hel5 wrote

>I personally have a desk job and love doing the occasional 'mindless' inventory work because it gives me a chance to clear my head, however if that was my job day in day out I would go insane probably!

used to work at a cannabis farm for a year and a half; first time doing hard farm labor like that. i come from a communications/marketing background, and in the winter i got to go back to some sales and marketing for the farm.

man i wish i could've split it evenly - half time at the farm, half time in the office. it would've been perfect.

JiovanniTheGREAT t1_iu0hoda wrote

Yeah, once I started working in tech, I would actually do a weekend at my old valet job every now and again. Doing it full time broke my body and mind in some aspects but a weekend here and there was refreshing because I would basically just run, drive, and shoot the shit with coworkers and guests.

othniel01 t1_iu0fgg7 wrote

>Once you get past the excessively large smiling man picture

But what if we can't?

Hippopotamidaes t1_iu0gnk3 wrote

“The grass is greener on the other side”

We see the benefits of change—not the negatives of losing what’s in hand or what’s to come, by and large.

[deleted] t1_iu0js45 wrote

I worked in a warehouse for 8 years and by year 3 I had to listen to audiobooks or podcasts while doing it, I was indeed starting to lose my mind.