Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ApertureNext t1_iuhy78x wrote

JPEG XL allows lossless conversion between JPEG and JPEG XL, it quite literally can't become more compatible.

DirectControlAssumed t1_iui0sle wrote

>it quite literally can't become more compatible.

BTW, it can. There is JPEG XT that is just JPEG + additional data that adds new features. The existing JPEG software that doesn't know about JPEG XT still can read its plain old JPEG part.

DirectControlAssumed t1_iuhz5ou wrote

You can't open JPEG XL re-compressed JPEGs with the code that supports JPEGs (that is basically omnipresent and will be supported for foreseeable future without any doubt). If you want your JPEG back, you have to decompress it with djxl first.

So, you still have to rely on JPEG XL specific code which can start to "rot" (due to various reasons) with time if nobody maintains it.

ApertureNext t1_iui0xvy wrote

Exactly, so you aren't losing quality if JPEG XL ends up flopping and you need to transfer back to a more compatible format.

Browsers not supporting the format and now dropping support aren't helping.

DirectControlAssumed t1_iuji4g1 wrote

You are not wrong, I was talking about the "some long forgotten DVD on the attic" scenario when you suddenly find that you used some unusual image format to store your data for archival purpose because, e.g., you wanted to put more images on that DVD and now you don't know how to get it back because the only software that supports it is some Linux CLI tool that requires compilation with right flags to make it work. Or something even more arcane, who knows.

See digital dark age, though I am not talking about intergenerational problem - seeing how fast technology changes today and how more complex it becomes every day makes me think that such problems can happen even within our lifetime.