Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Tomcatjones t1_ixxzo4p wrote

Of course they do. And unlike Tesla’s over the air updates. 90% of all recalls ever go unfixed, and unattended to.

Ford has the most vehicle recalls of all time, with 3,086 unique recalls. The runner up is Chevrolet, with almost a thousand less at 2,127. Four out of the top six recalled vehicles are from American manufacturers. The Ford model with the most recalls is the F150, with 115 unique recalls

ford has the record for largest recall in history. The Pinto. For a flaw they knew existed prior.. rear end collision would puncture the fuel tank and causing it to ignite.

This flaw had been attributed to 27 deaths (those recorded and investigated) …an internal memo showed not only did for know this issue before manufacturing. But the fix would have been $11 (1971 the pinto was released)

This should highlight how small and inconsequential a over the air update recall is compared to how the legacy automakers have been not only in the past but still to this day have large recalls.

AssassinAragorn t1_ixz81ah wrote

> Ford has the most vehicle recalls of all time, with 3,086 unique recalls. The runner up is Chevrolet, with almost a thousand less at 2,127

Hang on, this isn't really a fair comparison. With how long Ford and Chevrolet have been around, of course they're going to have more recalls than Tesla if we're looking at the total number.

At the same time, it isn't fair to just pick a year interval and compare the two, because Tesla is still a bit of a new product. You'd need to compare it versus the first decade for Ford and Chevrolet. If however we consider Tesla to now be a mature product, taking total recalls from 2020 to present would be valid.

Anyway all of this is pretty pointless. Honda and Toyota remain leagues above all these others. If I want a reliable car with a good track record and solid manufacturing, I'm buying one of those two. It's a shame that Tesla appears to be more comparable to Ford and Chevrolet than to Honda and Toyota.

Tomcatjones t1_iy0ho75 wrote

I wasn’t using the amount of total recalls against them. someone asked if recalls were tracked per manufacturer. I gave examples of yes, they do.

recalls are mostly nothing. amongst all manufacturers. Of course there are the extreme cases like the Pinto. But It’s rare.

The F150 has the most recalls of any model vehicle. And it’s the best selling truck.

So again, my main point In showing all those figures is that recalls don’t mean shit lol for the legacy maker or tesla