Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GWtech t1_iy98f1d wrote

Well I bought panels off of ebay. They're also some places you can buy used panels. But at $89 for 100 Watts on Amazon delivered it's hard to beat it. A pulse with modulated inverter which is not the best but will work with most things will be about 100 bucks for 1,000 W maybe 200 bucks for 2000 watts.

If you shift your appliances to use less Watts for example buy a 700 watt microwave oven instead of trying to get a 2000 watt microwave on and then it'll take 4 minutes instead of 2 minutes to reheat your food but you won't have to buy a more expensive inverter or thicker wires.

I think solar panels are so cheap now that it's worth getting one or two and beginning to offset your energy costs immediately. I mean if you can run a 3 amp 110 volt air conditioner in your window off of a couple of solar panels for a few hours in the middle of the day I would imagine that that's going to save you so much on your energy bill these days in Europe in America that that alone is a good reason to do it. Not to mention the fact that a lot of places in Europe are going to experience some brownouts and things so if you can run an electric heater for a few hours in the day and use that to heat up a pile of sand or some rocks then that can emit heat all night when the sun's gone down and you might have heat when no one else does in freezing europe.

Don't forget that the primary use of electricity is for heating and air conditioning in most houses. And you can skip batteries completely if you just run some resistance wire under a pile of sand and a large 55 gallon metal barrel sitting in the middle of your floor and you heat that all day when the sun is out and when the Sun goes down that will radiate that heat all night. You can also heat hot water and put it in hot water bottles in your bed. Etc etc. It's rather easy to store heat to radiate at night. Air conditioning is a little tougher but you can run an ice maker on your solar panels during the day and again blow air over that ice or put it in a plastic bag in your bed to keep you cooler if it's very hot at night. I literally bought an ice maker that can run off an inverter and runs off a 300 watt solar panel system I have and I stuck a beer or two right inside the little ice maker instead of buying a refrigerator.

thruster_fuel69 t1_iy99434 wrote

I 100% agree!! My other home is already fully solar and saving $600/month peak.

My quandary always is that I'm specialized in things not electrical, so I'm at the whim of the market and their prices. That said, I'm going to do what it takes to save another $600/month 😆