Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DigitalParacosm t1_ixx2thv wrote

And for diseases that won’t be cured by 3D printing: there is gene therapy (like this drug we’re speaking of) and CRISPR.

7 years ago I mentioned medical 3D printing to a general surgeon and he humored me by saying the scaffolding isn’t there yet. It’s more than that though, one key challenge to any implant is your body rejecting and attacking it. Hell, just putting a random person’s actual kidney in your body requires you to be on tacrolimus (oral anti rejection medication) the rest of your life, and if you miss a single day your kidney may fail. We are a long way from dragging and dropping organs, we’re even farther from 3D printing them.

Either way, its entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

RaceHard t1_ixx7ol9 wrote

A few years ago my computer science professor went on a tangent about a colleague of his working on scaffolding apparently they were working on trying to create an agnostic cartilage material that would be in theory treated with indifference by the immune system. And that onto that material the cells of an organ could be sprayed on. The idea, (and I admit that it was explained in a high concept without details.) was that you would use the healthy liver cells of the subject to in practice grow a new liver. Thereby bypassing Immuno suppressors

That was back in 2016, I am not sure how far along that research currently is. But when we were told about it the outcome was not optimistic until 2030's.