Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WexfordHo t1_iwzjo8y wrote

Fully charged in nine, smoking in 10, bursting into flames at 11.

monkegiga t1_iwzn5qr wrote

I have a Redmi and have owned a few, when they first came out a few geeky tech guys at my work were laughing at me saying the same thing you did. Fast forward a few years they bought Redmi phones for the company and are using Xiaomi TVs.
Sure they're not perfect or as good as top brands out there but they aren't as bad as you make them seem. Plus they're cheap. The only downside as far as I know is the ads that come with the built in cleanup.
But what do I know, I've only been using a few. Perhaps you can shed some light on it exploding?

frankjohnsen t1_iwzvyl9 wrote

They are terrible. Mainly due to the software. I had a Xiaomi phone at work and I'll never buy one for sure. Constant bugs, sometimes I couldn't even end a call because the call screen would disappear completely (it wasn't in the notiifcation center either). Lots of bloatware as well.

JP_godly-big-D t1_ix0rjch wrote

Same, Xiaomi is so buggy that mine was stuck on eternal reboot. I had to throw it away and bought a Samsung afterwards. Never buying Chinese phones again

DustyNix t1_ix1nhc8 wrote

My Xiaomi mi 11 when watching youtube normally one day just glitched out and went black and died. I had been using it for like 5-6 months and had to send it in.

Got it repaired for free after 2 weeks but all the pictures and things were gone, noticed then that my fingerprint sensor didn't work so I decided to mess around in the settings to see what was wrong.

Arrived at the menu where you can test whether different things work and got an error for the fingerprint sensor, emailed them they said that it was prob and oversight on their part when they installed the new motherboard.

This was right before summer when I wasn't gonna be able to pick up the phone or get another one for a whole 2 months. Gave up, and I use it now but my next phone is prob gonna be some 120hz second-hand old iPhone model...

monkegiga t1_ix0ftar wrote

I had the end call issue on my older phones Redmi 5A but it only happens on the whatsapp. Normal calls are just fine for the 5A. The A series are the cheaper models, it costs about $100. Now I'm using a Redmi 9. None of those issues anymore.
When it comes to bloatware, I'm fine with it since I don't install any heavy duty apps on my phone. I just have whatsapp, telegram, 2 games, 2 shopping apps and a few work related apps.
I'm writing this not to convince you, it's just people are so hardcore negative when it comes to China brands that they become an free anti-campaigners without actually using the products.
Some of you may be using Iphones or Samsung but for me I can't afford those luxuries, this cheap phone saved me when I was so broke and it helped me tremendously on numerous occasions when doing part time jobs and my full time.

But then this is reddit, go ahead an downvote me for my experience using Redmi. Damn the hateboner for anything remotely Chinese is insane.

frankjohnsen t1_ix2xpcs wrote

> Damn the hateboner for anything remotely Chinese is insane.

dude I literally source shit in China for a living. I just told you MY experience and also the experience of many other people. Quit being a drama queen.

happyfunreddit t1_ix0yvxb wrote

What are you talking about? The most bloated and buggy phones on the market.

−1

manu144x t1_iwzlqr9 wrote

And you’ll need a new battery in 2 months probably if you charge it like this each cycle.

Probably somewhere it says you should only use it in emergencies once every x cycles and if you don’t you void your warranty.

random_bot_01 t1_iwzt7nw wrote

Why do people keep saying that, even though there are alot of fast charging phones in the market for years and no news about abt any issues

manu144x t1_iwztby6 wrote

Because it’s physics. There’s always a trade off.

freecodeio t1_iwzup5l wrote

> There’s always a trade off.

That's technically correct but ultimately wrong. There are things still not yet discovered that solve a problem without having a (bad) trade off.

We went from medieval healers using mint on wounds to brain surgery. Where is the trade off for that?

manu144x t1_iwzv62l wrote

We need 10 years of study and another 20 of experience to have 1 guy capable of doing the brain surgery. You need a lot equipment and rules and liability, infrastructure and all that to do it. It’s extremely expensive.

But mints are everywhere and anybody can do it. :) Effective? probably not.

But, to keep in line with the phone example, you can have a battery load in 10 minutes, and still have reasonable cycles, fine, but it’s going to cost or going to be bigger, unless we find a new material that changes the paradigm.

As this is using just same old lithium.

Exotic_Treacle7438 t1_ix29bx9 wrote

You’re right. Like some of the faster charging devices have a high power adapter like 60-90w+ and multiple cell batteries. So each cell charges normally but at the same rate. So you get super fast charging that appears unhealthy but is perfectly normal.

WexfordHo t1_ix00w2g wrote

Well you see, friend, before modern medicine brain surgery was essentially a death sentence. Now it’s true there are some records of trepanation, but that’s not quite what any of us would think of as brain surgery today, and presumably most of those “patients” died. As far as repairing bleeds or removing skull fragments, dealing with cancers etc… you might as well have just beaten your patient to death as cut into their brain.

So the tradeoff was that new technology made a new paradigm possible, across the board!

There is no new paradigm to support ultra-fast charging of the type advertised here, without known tradeoffs.

li_shi t1_ix0dlob wrote

And evaluating the trade-off without number is pointless.

tomtom5858 t1_iwzu9ta wrote

It's literally just electrochemistry. The higher a wattage you shove into a battery, the more it degrades. The problem isn't linear, either (I believe it's geometric).

aquarain t1_ix0ndql wrote

There are a number of processes involved. Innovation in different materials and methods should be expected. We aren't seeing zinc whiskers as often with advanced metallurgy.

Tinker107 t1_iwzp8cs wrote

Guaranteed to last at least 20 charging cycles.

naveenstuns t1_ix36rdp wrote

Holy shit the hate in here without even appreciating it.

Xiaxs t1_iwzpcdu wrote

Okay but:

1. How long does it last?

2. Is the phone a good quality and would I want to use it?

3. How long is the battery designed to last for? As in how many years before I have to replace the thing?

Battery life means diddly shit if the product isn't even useable.

TraceSpazer t1_iwzqj4g wrote

Don't know about the new model, but I've had a note 9s for 3 years now and it's doing fine.

Don't use any of the default software, asks for too much access for trivial things and with the latest core update they removed the ability to change even the wallpaper without giving "themes" access.

Great camera and cheap, works ok with a T-Mobile reseller in the states.

Getting ready to swap out the firmware for a more secure open source variety. We'll see how that goes.

ano_ba_to t1_ix3mewz wrote

I've been using the slowest charger I've owned since 15 years ago. I will use it until it dies. I don't care for fast charging. I charge when the battery goes below 30% and charge only up to 85%.