Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ameren t1_iwstqxj wrote

Really? I've never heard of stack ranking at FFRDCs or defense contactors, for instance. It seems really risky to push people out the door en masse like that given it'd invite recruitment from foreign adversaries.

Just to name one example, of course. I'm sure folks from other industries can weigh in.

Fynn_the_Finger t1_iwsvbp7 wrote

I mean, I wouldn't work any place that required me to stack rank my team. Some jackoff above me would eventually come in and play corporate "hero" and go Jack Welch. I get rid of people who are holding my team back, if everyone is doing a good job, firing people will hurt my team, not help it.

We do software development. I've roughly 20 developers on my team. They're all awesome, and hard to replace. I let two people go over the last year, one just didn't have the skills and wasn't pulling his weight, the other was an abusive asshole who was negatively impacting team morale. We get rid of people on the merits of their behavior, not some arbitrary ranking.

deathdefyingrob1344 t1_iwsxqoe wrote

Same where I work. If you suck at your job you suck at your job and need to find something better suited. When you have a good team why make some arbitrary ranking system and fuck over a good team. Seems shitty

VenicePlaya t1_iwt7dwn wrote

Wouldn’t those 2 employees be at the bottom of the rank? Seems like the same outcome.

−3

Peralton t1_iwtvj0m wrote

Once the inexperienced employees are gone, there's more firings to come. With stack ranking, there's a regular culling of the teams. So at x date one of the good employees will have to be let go in the name of stack ranking.