Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_iwtpofn wrote

Temby t1_iwtrwx6 wrote

Thanks, the downvotes are weird. It's not like it's a subjective opinion, it's a thing that happened. I worked for EDS, which was similar and had its own set of culture problems.

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwukbpm wrote

EDS?

Temby t1_iwump8d wrote

Electronic Data Systems. It was an large international IT provider based out of Texas, and founded by Ross Perot who tried to run for president. Unfortunately EDS was gobbled up by HP in 2009.

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwywbf4 wrote

Yea weird I did a Google search for "EDC" and none of this came up

"EDC company" worked though

Temby t1_iwyxg1t wrote

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwyxt96 wrote

Yea sorry I meant EDS

If you google EDS, that wikipedia entry doesnt up in the initial results

Temby t1_iwyy8x9 wrote

All good :) To be fair to google, it hasn't existed since 2009.

HP bought it and soon rebranded it to HP Enterprise services (HPE). Then I think HP sold it off as DXC.

EDS were a behemoth of a tech company in the day, owned a bunch of private aircraft. They ran into some big financial turmoil, got a new CEO who started turning things around before it got bought out by HP in what is considered one of the biggest blunders in tech history. Bit of a rollercoaster ride for the company.

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwyye4l wrote

Yea this is weird but I'm trying to improve my searching skills

Temby t1_iwyz48f wrote

In my earlier post I mentioned Ross Perot and Texas in relation to EDS. If you Google:

EDS Ross Perot

or

EDS Texas

You should get that wiki article as the top result also!

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwyzo0s wrote

Mannn I should have added Ross Perot to the search :(

Stuff like this helps for work

Temby t1_iwyzxuw wrote

This is how we learn! As an IT professional I would often joke with people that my job was being a professional googler... You'll get the hang of it.

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwz04dm wrote

That's what I realized too but there isnt any training on this, is there?

Just a lot of practice

Temby t1_iwz0qxn wrote

I'm not sure if there's training, it's just something I picked up over too many years on the internet.

At the most basic level, you want to use all relevant key words. Lets say you needed find what year the Barcelona Olympics was held. You wouldn't just google "Olympics", you could google both words. Maybe you would even google "Barcelona Olympics Year".

Now lets say you needed to know what year the movie "Taxi Driver" was released. What would you search for?

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwz12sw wrote

"Taxi Driver movie release year" ?

Temby t1_iwz1gaf wrote

>Taxi Driver movie release year

I copy/pasted that into Google and it told me the year, so I'd say that's perfect :)

​

So besides throwing key words at google, here's a few more advanced points.

Firstly, quotes. There is a difference between Googling

Taxi Driver

and

"Taxi Driver"

When you put quotes around a word of a phrase, Google will only return that EXACT match. If you don't use quotes, Google will often try to substitute words with other words of a similar meaning. So use quotes when you know exactly what you want, or you have an exact phrase you want to match!

​

Secondly, you can use the word "OR" to allow Google to use multiple different words. So you could Google:

"Chocolate OR Vanilla" cake

And it will return you both results for chocolate cake and vanilla cake.

Truetree9999 OP t1_iwz1nrm wrote

Yup do you use AWS?

Theres a lot of this stuff w AWS cloudwatch that I do for work

Temby t1_iwz2qh1 wrote

Sadly not, AWS has the largest market share and is great to know, but I worked for large corporate and government clients where Azure was the only technology they used.

FYI, using quotes is very useful when you have an error message. 99% of the time you want to search for the 'exact' error and you don't want Google to give you any partial/unrelated matches.

Tip 3: Google's date filter. Lets say a recent vendor hotfix broke something. Filter your google results to the last week or month. With the amount of buggy patches MS release, that one came in handy sometimes.