Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ed_The_Bloody t1_iyqipn9 wrote

A thing of beauty.

ChuckChuckelson t1_iyqy6a7 wrote

Waste of money.

−7

Skippy27 t1_iyti0rj wrote

Entitled to your opinion of course but the older B-2 development allowed for the building of titanium joints, used in new era prostetics and super plastics which is now used to prevent cardiac arrest, to name a few.

Obviously I think government should invest in these technologies directly and not have them spin-off of military development but that's not the world we live in.

TLDR: If you ever lose a limb or survive a heart attack, you might not consider it a waste of money.

ChuckChuckelson t1_iytp943 wrote

Horseshit and we have a second rate medical system and the worst child poverty rate in the developed world. And private equity get richer beyond belief. I’m supposed to get goggle eyed by this piece of war mongering. Gtfo.

−6

Skippy27 t1_iyvgq50 wrote

This is a tech sub. I get that society in general is not where you want it to be and government spending is not to your liking but that doesn't change the fact that there have been large benefits from these programs outside of military use.

ChuckChuckelson t1_iyvhouq wrote

That’s bull shit. If the mind power an money we’re used to develop tech for the people in peaceful society we would be way ahead of now. Secrecy keep a lot of tech behind closed doors for decades. Great engineering minds are occupied with building killing machines instead of solving problems for people. You brainwashed tech heads can’t get it through your mind. Total waste of money and talent.

fuckeh t1_iyry6c5 wrote

Keeps China and Russia from trying to nuke the good guys though.

ChuckChuckelson t1_iys0h4q wrote

Bullshit created for the assholes who own defense contracts

−6

fuckeh t1_iys13v7 wrote

Nah it has practical use of great importance

−2

TheLianeonProject t1_iyqms34 wrote

The fact that it's being referred to as a "sixth generation" aircraft, literally no details have been published about it, and they were careful to only allow the cameras view from the front of the craft, suggests that there are some super high-tech features that the DOD doesn't want leaking out.

fuckeh t1_iyryfol wrote

Yeah I really want to see the actual technology.

I think they very briefly mentioned a special coating for the craft.. but what does it do? Is it purely for stealth purposes? Maybe cloaking? Is it protective?

Can’t wait to see real details

HardlineMike t1_iyqusov wrote

Could it have aerospikes or are those still too shitty to actually use on a production bomber? If it did it would be immediately obvious from the back.

−3

Adorable-Slip2260 t1_iyqws8u wrote

There would be no use of a type of rocket engine exhaust to make its way into a jet powered airplane.

Joates87 t1_iyrnn3q wrote

"New"... wonder how long this thing has actually been around.

realmastodon2 t1_iysvl72 wrote

It started design phase started about a decade ago. Testing started around 2015-2017. This is the version that succeeded their testing. There are more testing to be done before going into active service in 2026. The guts is likely cutting edge and the back side has something which they don't want people to see because it is bleeding edge engineering.

Berova t1_iyungfy wrote

The B-21 Raider hasn't even flown yet... not even once! First flight is supposed to take place next year and was delayed.

reddit455 t1_iysazzh wrote

not that long - 10ish years. 15 by the time it enters service. sounds like mostly new guts.. they didn't have to reinvent the stealth part.

​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_B-21_Raider

As of 2022, the B-21 is expected to enter service by 2026 or 2027.[4] It is to complement and eventually replace the Air Force's Rockwell B-1 Lancer, Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit,[5][6] and Boeing B-52 Stratofortress bombers.[7][8][9]

HardlineMike t1_iyqukz2 wrote

>The US Air Force is planning to acquire at least 100 of the aircraft.

I always laugh at these estimates because don't they almost always acquire far fewer than they say they are going to? Or is that just the Navy?

Adorable-Slip2260 t1_iyqx21r wrote

During the period following the Soviet Union’s collapse when no peer military threat existed for twenty plus years yes that occurred. This is not the reality for current and future US military planning and acquisitions.

from-the-void t1_iys1va8 wrote

The B-2 was designed to take on the Soviets, but by the time it was completed the Soviet Union had collapsed, and Russia was seen as warming up to the west, so they reduced the orders. This bomber is designed to take on China and Russia, so it will probably be a much larger order.

RverfulltimeOne t1_iysuhb9 wrote

No thats everyone. They can only make X amount of month at full production then the political winds change and you get your numbers reduced. Since were blowing so much money anyhow I would just write a contract give Northrup 100% of the money up front with clauses on severe penalties should they not provide.

They won't do that though. We have a literal graveyard of programs just on the cusp of being produced, figured out or in actual production only for it to be halted. Take the F22 for instance.

RverfulltimeOne t1_iysu84i wrote

Well B2 is 1980s tech. The coating for stealth is designed to defeat high energy radar systems. I would wager Northrup has a coating now that defeats high energy is old school low energy ones which stealth shows up on. Combo of both make it a devastating plane.

[deleted] t1_iz0gr10 wrote

Looks like the b2. I expected more