Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rob_zombie33 t1_j1gkg55 wrote

I agree. I believe I was a target in this manner after a different hack very shortly after the company admitted it happened. They never notified me though, so when I received a call claiming to be them and knowing detailed information of my account I believed it was them. I ended the call and didn't engage further with them but noticed a lot of repeat calls from the same number. I knew then it was a scammer and the company announcement I saw led me to contact them to confirm they were not trying to reach me in any way. Be on the lookout folks and take caution with anyone trying to reach you. If they are trying to engage you about something tell them to send you something by mail or to give you a number to callback later to see what happens.

QuietlyZen t1_j1hh29x wrote

Agree with all but the last. Never trust a number that they give you, or that shows on caller ID. Instead call a number you know to be good through other means

rob_zombie33 t1_j1hxh3h wrote

That's a good point, you are right that it could be spoofed. In my case when I asked for a number, they said I couldn't call them back and they will call me later. The number on caller id was definitely not a number the real company used as I determined with an actual company representative. It may help in this way to identify a fraud, but yes it won't help to verify that it isn't a fraud just seeing a legitimate number.

From what I gathered, this scammer was attempting to gather enough information for an account takeover. I immediately closed the account with the company, they can fuck off for not having good security measures.