Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Minute-Flan13 t1_j24yip0 wrote

It never was a healthy business culture. I remember the first dot con boom...it was absolute insanity. You had mining shell companies that were listed as penny stocks rebranding as tech companies...boom...overnight trading in the mid 20s.

Today is not as bad as then. But the article is right ...how we valuate these companies never made sense.

But I don't think there isn't room for improvement on the old ideas. I followed the hype to OpenAIs site. Tried the GPT-3 chatbot to see if it would yield better answers to work related questions than a Google search session I spent several hours on in the previous day. 15 minutes later, done with even better results. Tech lives. With or without the older players.

LowestKey t1_j254bq4 wrote

It might be time to admit that humans basically have no idea what they're doing.

thinker2501 t1_j27i2wx wrote

A part of the valuation issue that is not discussed enough is the distorting effect of the Fed’s QE since 2008. It created an overly hot stock market, which contributed to high valuations, which enabled exorbitantly high salaries, which distorted local markets in everything from coffee to housing.

soorr t1_j287lgv wrote

I had the complete opposite experience with chatgpt. The lack of follow up questions when it cannot answer my questions on the first try made it fail the Turing test for me in the first 5 minutes.

brando_calrisian t1_j28nmb0 wrote

I don’t think dude was trying to administer a Turing test lol. He was using it as a search engine alternative.

soorr t1_j29iwxc wrote

Yeah my take was response to the articles and Reddit posts that came out saying how amazing it is.