Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

throwaway92715 t1_j26wiod wrote

Technology is pretty much the only reason why human beings were ever able to rise to the top of the food chain. It's not just Americans.

If we'd never evolved brains powerful enough for us to start using tools to protect ourselves from starvation, disease, predators, the elements, etc... we'd still be cowering in caves and getting eaten by mountain lions.

If we hadn't continued that to develop agriculture, navigation, weapons, architecture, etc. well we probably would've just gotten our asses whooped by another group of humans who did. Which... actually happened to many groups in history.

Computers and shitcoins are just the continuation of that same evolutionary trend.

[deleted] t1_j273yr9 wrote

So you add another point to my argument. You say yourself that technology is pretty much the only reason we exist. Which I absolutely agree with you btw. I’m not disputing technology’s power. I’m only asking why we put so much faith into it when it creates problems at the same time as solving others. Like a cosmic whack-a-mole. But we don’t even question that paradox. Like a faith, we say: so be it, why are you doubting so much?

Notorious813 t1_j27etis wrote

This doesn’t make sense. Every innovation will have some sort of new problem. Agriculture required lots of land and messing up the habitats of the natural ecosystem. New medicine has side effects.

It’s not that problems are being dismissed. It’s that the benefits outweigh the short term cons and the challenge is then to solve the new problems