Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

otter111a t1_j28x0iy wrote

This reactor was last used by China 20 years ago. It sounds to me the Thailand is more interested in training engineers to operate in this field as well as use it to develop niche technologies like reactor wall lining materials. It probably shouldn’t be framed as Thailand trying to be a leading edge research country or you’re setting them up for failure.

TheDukeOfMars t1_j2875j8 wrote

It took the US 50 years of continuous research to get a net positive fusion output. They were just able to do it for the first time this month after working on the project for multiple generations. Unfortunately, I don’t see this being a viable technology for many many many decades. It’s way more complicated than nuclear fission.

ExHax t1_j28f4gu wrote

How long did it take to build a reusable rocket when there was a real competition and profit was involved?

Ryermeke t1_j29k3vh wrote

Fusion isn't rocket science.

It's much... Much... Harder.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j29lszn wrote

You're comparing two very different things buddy. Rockets aren't nuclear reactors. Just because a different technology improved doesn't mean another, completely separate one magically will. Some technologies get abandoned, aren't economical/marketable, etc.

miemcc t1_j2bois9 wrote

This type of collaboration is not unusual in the physics world. I used to world at a Synchrotron that was being commissioned and it was interesting to see how many techniques were drawn from machines around the world.