Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lordredapple t1_j17y2rq wrote

Okay yeah this actually makes a ton of sense to me and I'm starting to see your point. I've always heard about apps doing shit because of apple taking a fat cut and was wondering when that would be regulated. I feel like this opens a minor possiblity for malware if apple isn't allowed to check apps on other stores, and I would say letting them check the apps on a new app store would be pointless cause then they'd say all the apps are unsafe so you should use their own. Would it not be more effective to just regulate what cut they can take from developers? Also some rules to allow consumers to make more modifications to those apps and all? Thank you by the way for explaining all that and for your time!

Sything t1_j18bpua wrote

No problem šŸ˜Š thanks for taking the time to read.

Iā€™d agree with some form of regulation and would love to see it done on many things, but itā€™s very hard to do with regards to pricing services (value is subjective to most people) and with most major businesses itā€™s all about maximising profits so theyā€™d look for loopholes or simply increase the price of everything so their profits remains the same and/or increase.

Sadly though Apple in particular has veered far from what most would like to see. A whole ā€œright to repairā€ movement essentially sparked thanks to apples anti-consumer practices where they essentially forced customers to get repairs done in their own stores, preventing customers from finding cheaper repair alternatives. In the US they also had government help in preventing alternative/independent repair shops from using refurbished/repaired parts (these were authentic MacBook and phone parts that were fixed but blocked from delivery).

Iā€™d have to give it to Apple that it does test the majority of software for malware but they still miss some too and thereā€™s lots of games that would be considered malware in my opinion (damages phones or collects data across multiple apps/spyware), they only have guarantees against ā€˜knownā€™ malware, so anything new thatā€™s purpose built can bypass their detection. But generally speaking App stores on either platform donā€™t intentionally push malware onto consumers and do similar testing to search for known malware, itā€™s just easier to bypass and do on android since itā€™s a lot more open.

I may sound like Iā€™m shitting on Apple but iPhones, iPads and MacBooks are good quality products albeit overpriced they tend to work great imo and everything within the Apple brand does work very well together, usually an instant plug and play.

lordredapple t1_j18dehz wrote

And thank you for taking the time to type it :) Yeah I suppose apple will do what it can to resist and it's really all dependant on the law in the EU to fix that. US law for sure won't do anything about it considering what we've seen happen with other bigger companies. I completely even forgot about the right o repair movement tbh. I'm surprised Tesla hasn't been hit by that considering that they disable people's cars for taking it to unauthorized mechanics. I feel like that's total BS. One thing I am worried is that all the apps being restricted by apple from acting like hardcore tracked (Facebook, Twitter, google, etx) will make their own app store and remove themselves from the apple one to track you as much as they want with no regulations