Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

capybooya t1_j2275pj wrote

I think I largely agree, it is very hard for AI to understand all of our social rules and exceptions, and while right now we're amazed at recent developments, we might realize these limitations soon. And then there will be another revolution, and stagnation, and then another.

We're very badly equipped to predict when we will reach certain milestones, and especially how. Those who followed computers, gaming, and CGI in the 90s thought amazing things were just around the corner. And they were. But some things that we extrapolated we're still not even close to.

quikfrozt OP t1_j2281ql wrote

I’m curious if there are studies that go into how humans have changed as a result of their new technologies - human behavior, education, development, social patterns etc. I have a feeling it’s a two way street - we make the technologies and they remake us to a smaller degree. Has this balance started to shift in the machines’ favor? That is, they will be able to change us at a greater intensity and speed than we can affect them?

I’m scared of a dumbing down of a significant chunk of the population if soon, black boxes are able to perform critical thinking functions in behalf of folks for a lot of everyday tasks. One could just switch off mentally and have the machine do everything, even advising or making decisions on one’s behalf.

Sure, top engineers and programmers will continue to work with autonomous intelligences on a high level but they constitute a tiny fraction of humanity, most of whom have outsourced imagination and critical thinking to the all knowing blackboxes.

omega_level_mutant t1_j26yxng wrote

The renaissance is analogous to these times. Or the manufacturing of the printing press. Took away a lot of jobs, society was supposed to crumble but humans found new areas to dig into.

Not an exact comparison, but like Twain said history does not repeat but it does rhyme.

Low skill labor is a relative term, it will continue to exist.