Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dungone t1_j1dq8ah wrote

> The most profitable ones get all the resources thrown at them, and everyone else is supposed to do more with less.

I can't... see anything wrong with that?

−1

ThePhantomTrollbooth t1_j1e2ccd wrote

That’s how you end up with sales teams with huge commissions and limitless budgets, while the operations and customer service teams that are supposed to actually deliver the product work on table-scraps. It might deliver profit for a while, but eventually the quality of the product and service will decline because they continue trying to trim every last cent out of those “cost centers” that are actually the lifeblood of the company.

dungone t1_j1e2qnh wrote

We have a very different understanding of what a profitable team is. I don't understand how this type of cynicism really works. As far as I can tell, the cynicism relied on the logical fallacy that whoever gets the largest budget is by definition the most profitable. You seem to be saying the opposite of what you actually mean. It appears to me that what you're really saying, once the cynicism is removed, is that the actually profitable teams are not receiving an adequate budget.

But maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong. I can already see your reaction is to immediately downvote.

−4

ThePhantomTrollbooth t1_j1eimz2 wrote

I didn’t downvote. Other people read these things too. But yes, you’re understanding correctly. Companies chase increased profit by allocating more resources to sales and marketing, but they fail to recognize that they have to be ready to scale and reward the rest of the company accordingly. But since that eats into profits, they do everything they can to avoid it.